Philander blasts Smith over Rabada run-in

Vernon Philander has taken an extraordinary swipe at Steve Smith over his controversial clash with Kagiso Rabada.

Rabada was found guilty of "inappropriate and deliberate physical contact with a player" after bumping Smith with his shoulder after dismissing the Australian skipper during the second Test.

He also screamed in Smith's face after trapping him lbw on the opening day in Port Elizabeth last week.

NOT HAVING IT: Proteas take on ICC, appeal Rabada suspension

SPITEFUL SERIES: ICC hands out six charges in just two Tests

Rabada took 11 wickets for 150 runs to lead South Africa to victory, but the Smith incident lifted his demerit points total to eight, triggering an automatic two-Test ban.

The ICC confirmed on Wednesday that Rabada had appealed against the level-two breach, and in a stunning turn of events, Rabada's opening bowling partner Philander has taken to social media with some bizarre claims against Smith.

Philander has taken exception to Smith. Image: Getty

Philander reckons Smith should bear some of the responsibility for the Rabada run-in.

He tweeted a video of the incident, along with the caption: "Haven't really seen the footage of this incident but by the looks of this...Steve Smith gave KG the shoulder."

"He could have avoided any contact but to me he is just as guilty. Trying some football skills to get a penalty??? Pity he didn't dive to top it off."

A number of Philander's followers took exception to his claims, especially considering the appeal process is still in the works.








Rabada is the fifth player to be punished by the ICC in a fiery series after David Warner, Nathan Lyon and Mitchell Marsh and Quinton de Kock.

Smith has said his team would actually rather Rabada did play in the remaining two Tests in Cape Town and Johannesburg.

"Kagiso is a world-class bowler and you always want to come up against the best -- that is for sure," he said. "He is right up there, playing unbelievably well."

The ICC must name a commissioner by this Friday and the appeal has to be heard within seven days.

Rabada will remain suspended unless the commissioner permits him to play in the third Test, which starts next Thursday at Newlands in Cape Town.

The 22-year-old South African insists his brush with Smith was accidental, saying: "If I did it deliberately, I would not have contested the charge".

with agencies