Disturbing allegations against Conor McGregor come to light

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·Sports Reporter
·3-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
UFC fighter Conor McGregor in a suit walking away from media.
UFC fighter Conor McGregor was taken into custody in Corsica, before he was released. (Photo by Brian Lawless/PA Images via Getty Images)

Details surrounding the allegations levelled at UFC star Conor McGregor before he was taken into police custody in Corsica on suspicion of attempted sexual assault and indecent exposure on the weekend have emerged.

The Irishman found himself in police custody on Friday, during his holiday in Corsica but was released on Saturday without being charged, his lawyer said.

EXPLOSIVE CLAIMS: Trainer turns on Jeff Horn camp

‘SO WEIRD’: Aussie boxer reveals 'creepy' side-business

McGregor was freed before the limit of police custody and faces no charges, his legal representative on the French island Emmanuelle Ramon told AFP, calling the complaint against his client as "abusive".

A spokesman for McGregor sent a statement from the United States saying he "vigorously denied any accusation of bad behaviour".

TV broadcaster France 3 Corse spoke with a friend of the alleged victim who is married.

“According to a witness who spoke with the complainant that same evening and whom we were able to question, McGregor, accompanied by his bodyguards, allegedly exhibited his private parts to the young woman without her consent as she made her way into the bar toilets,” the report alleged.

The source claimed the alleged incident “deeply shocked the woman, who was on holiday in Calvi with her husband”.

Formal allegations were made against McGregor last Thursday, which resulted in his yacht being raided.

Conor McGregor walks across the Octagon after defeating Donald Cerrone (L) in a welterweight bout during UFC246 at T-Mobile Arena on January 18, 2020.
Conor McGregor walks across the Octagon after defeating Donald Cerrone (L) in a welterweight bout during UFC246 at T-Mobile Arena on January 18, 2020. (Photo by Steve Marcus/Getty Images)

McGregor appeared for a magistrate on Friday, where he was placed into custody, but was released on Saturday.

Earlier on Saturday, the prosecutor's office in Bastia issued a statement saying they had received a complaint "denouncing acts that could be described as attempted sexual assault and sexual exhibition".

The statement gave no details of the alleged offences committed by the 32-year-old McGregor.

McGregor, known as 'Notorious', has been holidaying in the south of France and was in Corsica preparing for a 180km water-bike relay race from Calvi to Monaco.

He led a four-member 'Team Notorious' against defending champions 'Team Serenity' headed by Princess Charlene of Monaco. The race started at 13.00 local time (1100 GMT) on Saturday morning.

The event is designed to publicise the anti-drowning initiatives of the Princess Charlene Foundation.

By 1800 GMT, Team Notorious was leading, according to the race website.

USADA visit Conor McGregor on holiday

McGregor has been posting pictures on social media showing him cruising around the Mediterranean but on Friday complained on Twitter that he had been visited by drug testers sent by US anti-doping agency USADA, even though in June he announced his retirement for the third time, after twice returning to the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) octagon.

"What's going on here @ufc?" he tweeted.

"USADA have just arrived to my yacht this morning for testing? I've retired guys! But go on then, I'll allow them test me. It's all natural here baby! Forever and always, God Bless 180km across the Mediterranean Sea tomorrow! LET'S GO!!"

McGregor is no stranger to controversy.

He hit the headlines in 2019 for an attack on an older man in a Dublin bar captured in a viral video.

In 2018 he pled guilty in Brooklyn, New York to disorderly conduct after attacking a bus filled with UFC fighters.

McGregor held the UFC title for featherweights from 2015 to 2016 and lightweights from 2016 to 2018 and lost to American legend Floyd Mayweather in August 2017 in a lucrative boxing match.

With AFP

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting