GSP taken to hospital after UFC comeback win

Georges St-Pierre (GSP) ended up in hospital after making an incredible return to the Octagon by beating Michael Bisping in their middleweight title showdown at UFC 217.

Despite taking four years out from the sport, the Canadian legend returned in style with a stunning choke submission of Bisping at Madison Square Garden in New York.

'CHEAP SHOT': UFC fighter DQ'd for blatant act

GSP took Bisping's belt with a stunning all-round performance but the gruelling encounter against the British slugger clearly took it out of the legendary fighter.

UFC president Dana White revealed at the UFC 217 post-fight press conference that St-Pierre had been taken to the hospital for an examination.

"He was transported to the hospital. He's got to get stitches in his nose," White said.

"Bisping did some serious work from his back; split (St-Pierre's) nose open, had blood all over his face. (St-Pierre) took some big shots from the top position," White continued.

St-Pierre took out the title on his much-hyped return. Pic: Getty

"We'll see how he is, I don't know what the status is with him."

The fight began in brutal fashion, with GSP rocking Bisping with a roundhouse kick to the head in the opening round.

The second round began in a more cautious manner with neither fighter seemingly willing to open themselves up to a counter-attack.

GSP did manage to get Bisping onto the canvas as he tried to tighten the screws with his grappling superiority but the Briton got back to his feet and managed to land a couple of solid punches to the head.

The Canadian took Bisping to the canvas right at the start of the third round, mixing grappling with shots to the exposed face of the Brit.

Try as he might though, GSP was unable to really penetrate Bisping's impressive defence as both fighters once again took to their feet to resume the enthralling contest.

Bisping was clearly tired though and GSP managed to stun him with a brutal left hook that sent the champion back down to the canvas.

From there, St-Pierre went in for the kill, following a flurry of forearms to the head with a technical brilliant choke submission, to force the tap-out from the champion.