Nick Kyrgios has used his new OnlyFans platform to make the sad announcement that he won't be competing at the Australian Open in January. Just 24 hours after revealing he'd started a fan page on the subscription website, the Aussie star used the new platform to drop a bombshell on Saturday.
“Hey guys, Nick Kyrgios here, obviously had a really tough year with injury, had that knee surgery and came back a little too soon (which) set me back a little bit, obviously had some wrist issues,” he said. “So this is a very disappointing time for me but yeah I won’t be able to compete at the 2024 Australian Open.
“Obviously heartbreaking, I’ve had so many amazing memories there and I just want to really get back to playing at the top of my game and doing it right and I need a little more time. I was so close to winning a grand slam, I want to make sure that my body is going to have the time it needs to come back so please bear with me."
Kyrgios said he will still be at Melbourne Park to do some commentating. “Even though I won’t be there competing this year at the AO, I still will be around, commentating matches, being around, I’ve got some special things planned, so please be excited still," he said. “You know I’ll be there and hopefully see all the fans, I’ll see you there.”
Tennis world reacts to Nick Kyrgios' Australian Open withdrawal
Kyrgios' participation at his home grand slam has been in extreme doubt for a number of weeks. He only managed to play one match at ATP level this year after withdrawing from the 2023 Australian Open and undergoing knee surgery.
He attempted to make a comeback at Wimbledon but suffered a wrist injury in the lead-up, and hasn't played since. The frustrating year on the sidelines comes after Kyrgios enjoyed a break-out season in 2022, making the final at Wimbledon and winning the Australian Open doubles title.
Speaking last week, Tennis Australia boss Craig Tiley said Kyrgios would be at the Australian Open "in some form". That offered a clue that the former top-20 player would be commentating rather than playing.
The 27-year-old also wasn't on the official entry list for the Australian Open when it was released on Wednesday, further fuelling the theory that he wouldn't be playing. While there remained a chance he cold be granted a wildcard, many pointed out that he simply could have used his protected ranking to gain automatic entry if he was intending to play.
World No.12 Alex de Minaur will lead the Australian men's charge at Melbourne Park in Kyrgios' absence. Alexei Popyrin, Max Purcell, Jordan Thompson, Aleksandar Vukic, Thanasi Kokkinakis, Christoper O'Connell and Rinky Hijikata are all in the main draw entry list.
Kyrgios made his commentary debut during the ATP Finals last month and impressed fans with his insight. But many have been left saddened over the news they won't be seeing him on the court at the Australian Open.
Sad to hear that @NickKyrgios won't be playing in this years @AustralianOpen. I really hope he can get fit and resume playing again, I still think he's got lots more to give to the game but just needs to get and then stay fit for a period of time.
All the best Nick. https://t.co/8Ec7wVpa6P
— Pavvy G (@pavyg) December 9, 2023
thought it was a safe bet after they didnt announce him receiving a MDWC that he wasnt healthy enough to play.
hope he can be involved in some of the colour commentary for the event
— rick marsonet (@RMarsonet) December 8, 2023
Well that's sad.
— innocent_bystander (@inn0cntbyst4ndr) December 9, 2023
Nick Kyrgios announcing on his only fans that he isn’t playing the Australian Open in the most Nick Kyrgios thing ever #AusOpen
— Luke (@Marruso89) December 9, 2023
this is the worst news ever meaning that nick kyrgios has an onlyfans, but the best news because we dont have to watch this clown play https://t.co/BBpg6yrpNo
— lakers (@sadlakerfa73607) December 9, 2023
Sign up to our newsletter and score the biggest sport stories of the week.