Advertisement

Steve Smith handed brutal news ahead of T20 World Cup snub

Selector George Bailey (pictured right) during a media conference and (pictured left) Steve Smith looking shocked.
Selector George Bailey (pictured right) has admitted Steve Smith (pictured left) won't be playing in Australia's starting XI against New Zealand in the World Cup. (Getty Images)

Australian selector George Bailey has all but confirmed mercurial batter Steve Smith won't be in the starting XI to take on New Zealand in the opening game of the T20 World Cup.

Smith has been left on the periphery of the Aussie T20 team in recent weeks having only started two out of five warm-up games in the build-up to the World Cup.

HUGE: David Warner truth emerges in Australia's Pat Cummins captaincy call

WOW: Cricket world loses it over Warner's shock reaction to Kohli act

The eccentric batter has struggled with his strike rate and only scored 11 off 12 balls against India on Monday.

Despite his struggles, Smith has found support in former Australian captain Michael Clarke who implored selectors to pick him for his ability to save an innings.

However, as many expected, Australian chairman of selectors George Bailey gave a strong clue about Smith's status for the upcoming clash at the SCG when asked whether he would have a role to play.

"I think all the members of our 15 have a role to play but I don't think that will be starting in the 11 for Steve," Bailey said.

"I think that should we need a role from him at some stage, then absolutely."

Bailey's hint suggests that Smith won't feature heavily in the World Cup, unless injury strikes.

Tim David expected to slot in for World Cup opener

With captain Aaron Finch returning to the top of the order, Smith's absence most likely paves the way for Tim David to make his World Cup debut.

However, former captain Clarke recently slammed the decision to leave youngster Cameron Green out of the team, while also snubbing Smith.

“They’ve made a mistake in not picking Cameron Green. It's as simple as that,” Michael Clarke told Big Sports Breakfast earlier this week.

Former Aussie captain Clarke was scathing of the fact that Green has been prioritised ahead of Smith, despite not being in the World Cup squad.

“Steve Smith can open the batting in T20 cricket. He’s in the squad, he’s a big chance of playing in this World Cup so surely you need him batting, making runs (and) in form," Clarke said.

Steve Smith (pictured) walks back to the pavilion after his dismissal.
Steve Smith (pictured) won't start against New Zealand in the opening World Cup match for Australia. (Photo by PATRICK HAMILTON/AFP /AFP via Getty Images) (PATRICK HAMILTON via Getty Images)

Clarke's concern over the starting XI was echoed in results against England and India.

The loss against England in the third game highlighted fragility in the Australian batting line-up, particularly at the top of the order where Finch (13 off 13 balls) and Warner (four off 11) failed to fire.

Against India, Australia were 4-171 and needed 17 runs off two overs left.

The team was then bowled out for 180 in a stunning collapse that saw four wickets fall in the final four balls.

Despite concerns, selector Bailey said the team was tracking well with opener David Warner set to return from injury

Bailey said Warner was "fine" to play against New Zealand and was always set to sit out the India clash.

David Warner (pictured right) looks on during a T20 match.
David Warner (pictured right) is expected to be fit for Australia's opening T20 World Cup match. (Photo by PATRICK HAMILTON/AFP /AFP via Getty Images) (PATRICK HAMILTON via Getty Images)

Allrounder Mitch Marsh has not bowled in a match since August due to an ankle injury. Bailey said he was not far away from bowling but could not guarantee that would be on Saturday.

"He is tracking well. I don't think it is any secret that our allrounders are an important part of our structure," Bailey said.

"I think he bowled 20 to 30 balls with pretty good intensity in the nets yesterday.

"I think he has hit all the markers that he wanted to but I think given the importance of that (allrounder) structure it is not something we wanted to risk too early but I fully expect that Mitch will be available and ready to go, whether that is Saturday or game two."

with AAP

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.