Advertisement

Matthew Wade at centre of fresh Aussie drama at T20 World Cup

Glenn Maxwell, pictured here practicing with wicket-keeper gloves after Matthew Wade tested positive for Covid-19.
Glenn Maxwell was spotted practicing with wicket-keeper gloves after Matthew Wade tested positive for Covid-19. Image: Getty/Twitter

Matthew Wade has sent a major scare through the Australian camp on the eve of a must-win clash against England at the T20 World Cup.

The Aussie wicket-keeper tested positive for Covid-19 on Thursday, joining teammate Adam Zampa in being struck down by the virus.

'CAN'T BELIEVE IT': Fans in shock over 'insane' scenes at World Cup

'SAD STORY': Will Pucovski announcement leaves cricket fans gutted

Wade is reportedly suffering only minor symptoms and is still expected to feature in Friday night's game at the MCG, unless his condition deteriorates.

Under ICC rules, players can still play with Covid-19 - as we say with Tahlia McGrath during the final against India at the Commonwealth Games.

But the news is particularly bad for Australia considering Wade is the only wicket-keeper in the Aussie squad.

Back-up keeper Josh Inglis was ruled out of the tournament following a freak hand injury while playing golf, with Australia opting to bring in all-rounder Cameron Green instead of another gloveman.

Glenn Maxwell was spotted practicing with the gloves at training on Thursday, a sign that he will be required to take up the wicket-keeping duties if Wade can't play.

David Warner and Aaron Finch have also been touted as options behind the stumps.

Australia are unable to rush in a replacement like Alex Carey, Ben McDermott or Josh Philippe unless another player is ruled out of the remainder of the tournament.

Australia need to beat England to remain in the hunt to qualify for the semi-finals in their T20 World Cup defence on home soil.

Zampa recorded a negative Covid-19 test on Thursday and will almost certainly return to the team in place of Ashton Agar.

"(Zampa) was really flat the day before the game and we were going to give him as much time as possible to get up for the game but we just thought it'd be too much, you want to be 100 per cent going into a World Cup game," Aussie captain Finch said.

Glenn Maxwell, pictured here practicing with wicketkeeper gloves at an Aussie training session at the T20 World Cup.
Glenn Maxwell practices with wicketkeeper gloves at an Aussie training session at the T20 World Cup. (Photo by WILLIAM WEST/AFP via Getty Images) (AFP via Getty Images)

Aaron Finch confident of finding form at World Cup

Meanwhile, Finch has written off his painful World Cup knock against Sri Lanka knock as an "anomaly" and believes he is the right choice to continue opening for Australia.

Regularly under-fire during the past 12 months, the 35-year-old will lead the reigning champions into a must-win contest against England on Friday night.

Legendary former Australia captain Allan Border has called for Steve Smith to replace Finch in the XI, but the captain is determined to push on.

It comes after the powerful right-hander could barely contain his frustration as he crawled to 31 not out off 42 balls in the seven-wicket win over Sri Lanka in Perth on Tuesday night.

"I think it was an anomaly in my career, it was just one of those days," Finch told reporters at the MCG on Thursday.

Aaron Finch, pictured here in the nets during a training session at the T20 World Cup.
Aaron Finch in the nets during a training session at the T20 World Cup. (Photo by WILLIAM WEST/AFP via Getty Images) (WILLIAM WEST via Getty Images)

"I still feel like I'm playing pretty well. I still feel confident in my game, 100 per cent.

"I don't feel anymore pressure than I ever have, the only pressure is the expectation you put on yourself.

"Everyone's got their opinion, that's fine. I've got no issue with what people's personal opinions are, I don't read or listen to any of it."

Australia's Test and ODI captain Pat Cummins has also come under criticism for his start to the tournament, with former selector Mark Waugh saying the star quick should be dropped in favour of Green.

But Finch has emphatically backed in the world's No.1-ranked Test bowler.

"His (Cummins) numbers over the last 18 months have been outstanding in T20 cricket," Finch said.

"It blows my mind sometimes where people go with selection chat.

"He's been unbelievable over all three formats for a long time and the calmness and experience that he brings to a bowling group is invaluable."

with AAP

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.