Advertisement

T20 World Cup rocked by 'insane' scenes as Zimbabwe shock Pakistan

Zimbabwe, pictured here after shocking Pakistan in crazy scenes at the T20 World Cup.
Zimbabwe shocked Pakistan in crazy scenes at the T20 World Cup. Image: Getty

Zimbabwe have shocked the cricket world at the T20 World Cup in Australia, beating Pakistan by one run in a final-ball thriller.

Chasing Zimbabwe's total of 8-130 on Thursday night in Perth, Pakistan were on track for victory after getting the equation down to four runs required off the final four balls.

'ANOMALY': Aaron Finch responds to critics at T20 World Cup

'PATHETIC': Cricket world turns on England at T20 World Cup

Mohammad Nawaz, whose horror final over against India cost his team victory last Sunday, this time looked set to be the match winner with the bat after moving to 22.

But when he was caught at mid-off on the penultimate ball of the innings, it left Pakistan needing three off the final delivery.

Shaheen Afridi, facing the final delivery from Brad Evans, knocked the ball down the ground and desperately tried to scamper back for a second run to send the match to a Super Over.

Zimbabwe fans would have had their hearts in their mouths when wicketkeeper Regis Chakabva fumbled the incoming throw.

But when Chakabva recovered from the juggle and whipped off the bails, it sparked wild celebrations among Zimbabwe's players.

"I'm just happy that I managed to gather it in the end," Chakabva said.

"It did skid a little bit, and coming at pace like that I had to try to watch it. Fortunately, it stuck in the end.

"I can't even describe the feeling (when the bails came off). I was more theatrical than I've ever been. It's such a massive win for us, and it means so much to the boys.

Zimbabwe players, pictured here celebrating their victory over Pakistan at the T20 World Cup.
Zimbabwe players celebrate their victory over Pakistan at the T20 World Cup. (Photo by TREVOR COLLENS/AFP via Getty Images) (AFP via Getty Images)

"The people back home have been superb. The whole nation has been behind us.

"We've already seen some videos from back home, in every place people celebrating. We can see what it means to them."

Zimbabwe, whose opening match against South Africa was abandoned due to rain, are now in the running to progress to the semis after producing one of the biggest upsets of the tournament.

The result all but ended Pakistan's hopes of reaching the knockout stage.

"To be honest it's hard," Pakistan captain Babar Azam said of the back-to-back losses.

"We will sit and discuss the mistakes and come back strongly."

While fans and commentators were left singing the praises of Zimbabwe's performance, others blasted Pakistan over the shock loss.

Ricky Ponting inspires Zimbabwe to victory

Zimbabwe allrounder Sikandar Raza later revealed how a pump-up from Australian great Ricky Ponting played a key role in his match-winning display.

Raza snared 3-25 from four overs to inspire Zimbabwe to a famous victory, reviving memories of Zimbabwe's win over Australia in the 50-over World Cup in 1983.

Raza revealed his man-of-the-match performance in Perth was partly inspired by watching a video of Ponting enthusing about him.

"I couldn't sleep much last night. For me, this game was playing over and over again," Raza said.

Pakistan fans, pictured here looking on in disbelief during their loss to Zimbabwe at the T20 World Cup.
Pakistan fans look on in disbelief during their loss to Zimbabwe at the T20 World Cup. (Photo by Will Russell-ICC/ICC via Getty Images) (ICC via Getty Images)

"We don't get to play top nations a lot. We don't get to play under lights a lot. This is my first game in Perth.

"My body was sleeping, but my mind was constantly spinning, reading, thinking about the game.

"When I woke up a friend of mine sent me a message and he said, 'have you seen a clip on the ICC page?'

"That was Ricky Ponting talking about Zimbabwe, and in particular me.

"Listen, some of my friends and family members messaged and they had a tear in their eye. For me, I had goosebumps.

"It was one of the greats of the game talking about Zimbabwe, and in particular me.

"Not that I needed an extra kick, but if I needed one, that clip did the job for me."

In Thursday's other games, Virat Kohli starred for India in a 56-run defeat of the Netherlands, while Rilee Rossouw blasted South Africa's first century at a Twenty20 World Cup to help put their campaign back on track with a 104-run flogging of Bangladesh.

with AAP

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.