Advertisement

Aaron Finch responds to critics amid ugly drama at T20 World Cup

Aaron Finch (pictured left) walking off the field and (pictured right) Finch giving a thumbs up.
Aaron Finch (pictured) has dismissed his unusually slow innings against Sri Lanka at the T20 World Cup as an 'anomaly'. (Getty Images)

Australian captain Aaron Finch has dismissed claims he needs to be replaced at the top of the order after labelling his slow burning innings against Sri Lanka at the T20 World Cup as an 'anomaly'.

Finch entered the T20 World Cup under fire having already relinquished his ODI captaincy after a long run of poor form.

'PATHETIC': England under fire over brutal T20 World Cup boilover

'NOT RIGHT': Pat Cummins under fire from Aussie legend at World Cup

In a must-win game against Sri Lanka in Perth, after a convincing loss to New Zealand in their opening game, Finch was forced to dig deep as he struggled to get going in the short format game.

The power hitter crawled to 31 not out off 42 balls in Australia's seven-wicket win over Sri Lanka thanks to a Marcus Stoinis masterclass.

Finch could only manage four runs off his first 15 balls and was struggling to lay bat on ball.

He was even overheard on the stump mic asking the umpire how to play a Lahiru Kumara delivery.

"Happy to take any ideas if you know how to hit that," he said.

Despite mounting pressure to retain his spot, including from legendary former Australian captain Allan Border and Mark Waugh, Finch is determined to push on.

And the captain said he wasn't worried about his unusual innings as Australia head into their second must-win game against England.

"I think it was an anomaly in my career, it was just one of those days," Finch told reporters at the MCG on Thursday.

"I still feel like I'm playing pretty well.

"I still feel confident in my game, 100 per cent.

"I don't feel anymore pressure than I ever have, the only pressure is the expectation you put on yourself.

"Everyone's got their opinion, that's fine. I've got no issue with what people's personal opinions are, I don't read or listen to any of it."

Aaron Finch dismisses Pat Cummins criticism

England's horror result against Ireland has set up an eliminator type game for the old rivals as they prepare to clash on Friday.

Both teams will be fighting to finish first or second in the group having already lost one of their opening two games.

Australia simply have to beat England otherwise their title defence on home soil will be over after just three games.

England will enter the match full of confidence having beaten Australia 2-0 in their recent bilateral series and pulled off a resounding victory against Finch's team in the group stage of last year's world cup.

Heading into Friday's clash,, Australia's Test and ODI captain Pat Cummins has also come under criticism for his start to the tournament.

Pat Cummins (pictured left) looks on from the Australian dug out.
Pat Cummins (pictured left) has come under criticism for his performances in the T20 World Cup. (Photo by Paul Kane/Getty Images) (Paul Kane via Getty Images)

Former selector Waugh was one to claim the star quick should be dropped.

But Finch has emphatically backed in the World's No.1-ranked Test bowler.

"His (Cummins) numbers over the last 18 months have been outstanding in T20 cricket," Finch said.

"It blows my mind sometimes where people go with selection chat.

"He's been unbelievable over all three formats for a long time and the calmness and experience that he brings to a bowling group is invaluable."

with AAP

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.