Troubling details emerge in Alex de Minaur's Covid-19 case

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·3-min read
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
Pictured here, Alex de Minaur waves to fans after a Davis Cup match for Australia.
Alex de Minaur has no idea how he tested positive for Covid-19, ruling him out of the Olympic Games. Pic: Instagram

Alex de Minaur's mother has provided more details about the "crushing" Covid-19 dilemma that forced the Aussie tennis star to pull out of the Tokyo Olympic Games.

Reports emerged on Friday that the 22-year-old has tested positive for coronavirus, effectively ending any hopes of him representing Australia at the Olympics.

'FAKE NEWS': Aussie basketball star Liz Cambage slams Olympics 'lies'

'DISASTER': Tokyo Olympics rocked by Covid-19 bombshell

'DOUBLE STANDARDS': Aussie Olympian slams QLD Premier

The Aussie No.1 was in for a real chance at claiming a medal for the Green and Gold, with a number of high profile tennis stars withdrawing from the Games due to a raft of different reasons.

De Minaur's mother Esther described the setback as "awful" and "devastating" and revealed that her son has been left in a bad state emotionally.

“It is awful, it is crushing,” she told News Corp Australia.

“We are all so shocked. He was so looking forward to it, he loves representing his country.”

De Minaur has reportedly received one dose of the Pfizer vaccine, before receiving the news of his positive test.

The Aussie's mum says no close contacts of the tennis star have contracted the virus and he still doesn't know how he got it.

“He is devastated and he doesn’t want to talk to anyone right now,” she added.

“He is in his own mental bubble trying to deal with the situation.”

This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.

Fellow Aussie stars test negative

De Minaur left the Wimbledon bubble and moved to Spain ahead of the Games.

The Aussie hadn't come into contact with any other Australian players ahead of his planned arrival in Tokyo.

De Minaur, who lost his first-round match at Wimbledon last month, was picked for the singles and was also planning to partner with John Peers in the doubles.

"We are very disappointed for Alex and he is shattered, not being able to come," Australian team chef de mission Ian Chesterman said at a Tokyo news conference on Friday morning.

"No other tennis players have had physical contact with Alex since he left Wimbledon on July 5, where he tested negative.

"All other Australian players have tested negative since. We look forward to welcoming those athletes into our team."

Seen here, Alex de Minaur has withdrawn from the Tokyo Olympics after contracting Covid-19.
Alex de Minaur (pictured) has withdrawn from the Tokyo Olympics after testing positive for Covid-19. (Getty Images)

Chesterman said de Minaur's positive test showed the measures put in place to protect the Olympic athletes from the virus were working.

"We need to protect this bubble and Alex has been caught up in that system," he said.

"While we will miss Alex, he understands the reasons why he cannot be with us."

Chesterman was hopeful that Peers, who was only picked for the doubles, would still be able to compete in Tokyo.

All athletes arriving in Tokyo must undergo a 96-hour and 72-hour Covid-19 test before departure.

with agencies

Watch 'Mind Games', the new series from Yahoo Sport Australia exploring the often brutal mental toil elite athletes go through in pursuit of greatness:

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting