- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
Alex De Minaur has been left 'shattered' after he tested positive to Covid-19 only one week before the start of the Tokyo Olympics.
The Aussie No.1 was in for a real chance for a medal, which was helped with a number of high profile tennis stars withdrawing from the Games.
'DISASTER': Tokyo Olympics rocked by Covid-19 bombshell
'DOUBLE STANDARDS': Aussie Olympian slams QLD Premier
But the Australian Olympic Committee (AOC) announced De Minaur has withdrawn from the Tokyo Games after the devastating news.
De Minaur left the Wimbledon bubble and moved to Spain ahead of the Games.
The Aussie hadn't come into contact with any other Australian players ahead of his planned arrival in Tokyo.
De Minaur, who lost his first-round match at Wimbledon last month, was picked for the singles and was also planning to partner with John Peers in the doubles.
"We are very disappointed for Alex and he is shattered, not being able to come," Australian team chef de mission Ian Chesterman said at a Tokyo news conference on Friday morning.
"No other tennis players have had physical contact with Alex since he left Wimbledon on July 5, where he tested negative.
"All other Australian players have tested negative since. We look forward to welcoming those athletes into our team."
Chesterman said de Minaur's positive test showed the measures put in place to protect the Olympic athletes from the virus were working.
"We need to protect this bubble and Alex has been caught up in that system," he said.
"While we will miss Alex, he understands the reasons why he cannot be with us."
Chesterman was hopeful that Peers, who was only picked for the doubles, would still be able to compete in Tokyo.
All athletes arriving in Tokyo must undergo a 96-hour and 72-hour Covid-19 test before departure.
Novak Djokovic announces Olympic participation
In exciting news for tennis fans, Novak Djokovic confirmed his participation at the Tokyo Olympics, setting the stage for a historic charge at tennis' 'Golden Slam'.
The World No.1 announced the news on Thursday amid a raft of high-profile tennis stars withdrawing from the Games.
"I booked my flight for Tokyo and will proudly be joining #TeamSerbia for the Olympics," Djokovic tweeted.
"With much pride I'm packing for Tokyo and joining our national team in the fight for the brightest medals at the Olympic arenas.
"For me playing for Serbia was always a special joy and motivation and I will give my best to make us all happy. Let's go."
Watch 'Mind Games', the new series from Yahoo Sport Australia exploring the often brutal mental toil elite athletes go through in pursuit of greatness:
Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.