'Not my roster': Kevvie Walters' brazen dig at Broncos misfortune

Riley Morgan
·Sports Reporter
·3-min read
Kevin Walters (pictured) reacts during a press conference.
Kevin Walters (pictured) defended his role at the start of 2021 and claimed it was "not my roster". (Getty Images)

Broncos coach Kevin Walters has hit out at critics after claiming the Broncos' start of season woes can't be all his fault considering the current squad is "not my roster".

The Brisbane Broncos have struggled at the beginning of the 2021 season after recording just the single victory over the Bulldogs, while suffering two heavy defeats to the Rabbitohs and Storm.

'NO CONTROL': Key player's big call on under-fire coach

ALL CLASS: Latrell Mitchell's heartwarming surprise for parents

Sitting with one win and four losses, the Broncos' run doesn't get any easier as they face the top of the table Panthers on Thursday.

Walters, who took over the Broncos from Anthony Seibold, has come under fire after little sign of improvement.

The former Maroons coach has made changes to his halves and dropped Anthony Milford from the team ahead of their clash against the Panthers.

But having been questioned about the performances, Walters defended his role as head coach.

“I felt like I have had control since the moment I walked in,” Walters said to the media on Wednesday.

“It is obviously not my roster as such that I selected, but I am working with these guys.”

There is no doubt, Walters did not recruit the majority of the squad ahead of the 2021 having just taken over as head coach.

But he also made some major decisions to let Andrew McCullough, Joe Ofahengaue and Jack Bird leave the club.

Broncos in a huddle during the round five NRL match between the South Sydney Rabbitohs and Brisbane Broncos at Stadium Australia on April 08, 2021 in Sydney, Australia.
Broncos in a huddle during the round five NRL match between the South Sydney Rabbitohs and Brisbane Broncos at Stadium Australia on April 08, 2021 in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Speed Media/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

Walters used an unusual cake analogy to urge for fans to give him and the team time as the 2021 season unfolds.

“They are a good bunch of guys to work with and we will continue to make them better and improve them in the areas that we need to improve over the season,” Walters said.

“We are Round 5 of 25 so we are a quarter of the way. If you look at a cake there is still three quarters of the cake to eat, so that’s what excites me.”

Walters drops Anthony Milford

Walters is done with being Mr Nice Guy, with the Broncos coach axing Milford for Thursday's NRL clash against leaders Penrith.

Milford trained with the club's reserves on Monday and looks set to be the highest-profile casualty so far from Brisbane's miserable 1-4 start to the 2021 season.

The five-eighth is the highest paid player at the Broncos after famously signing a four-year deal worth around $1 million-a-season.

Watch 'Mind Games', the new series from Yahoo Sport Australia exploring the often brutal mental toil elite athletes go through in pursuit of greatness:

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.