Jarryd Hayne hits out at 'unfortunate' detail amid wedding joy

·3-min read
Jarryd Hayne, pictured here at his wedding with Amellia Bonnici.
Jarryd Hayne shared a photo from his wedding with Amellia Bonnici. Image: Instagram

Jarryd Hayne has confirmed news of his wedding with partner Amellia Bonnici, hitting out at the ‘unfortunate’ fact that they weren’t able to announce the news themselves.

Hayne took to Instagram on Wednesday night to confirm that he and Bonnici tied the knot over the weekend after the news was leaked in the media.

BRUTAL: Mitchell Pearce's off-season from hell gets worse

WHOOPS: NRL player's embarrassing gaffe in proposal post

“We met on 26th of Jan 5 years ago. Thank God for sorting us out and realising we meant to be,” the former NRL star wrote alongside a photo from the wedding.

“Thank you to our Families & Friends who attended yesterday. We had a (sic) unbelievable day with you all.

“It was Unfortunate to not have the honour to announce this ourselves.”

The Daily Mail published photos on Wednesday showing Hayne and Bonnici at their wedding.

The couple tied the knot in front of 50 family and friends on the NSW Central Coast, one month after announcing their engagement.

“He who finds a wife finds a good thing, And obtains favour from the LORD’. Proverbs 18:22 NKJV,” Hayne wrote on Instagram in December.

“It’s been a rollercoaster. But I’m thankful for God and what the Holy Spirit has done through us.

“It’s only by the grace of God we are here and we’re excited moving forward as Husband n Wife.”

Quade Cooper, Beau Ryan, Robbie Farah and Aaron Woods were among the many to send messages of congratulations on social media.

Hayne and Bonnici have been together since 2016 when he returned to Australia following a stint in the NFL.

The couple have a four-year-old daughter, Beliviah Ivy, together.

Jarryd Hayne, pictured here with his partner in December.
Jarryd Hayne leaves Newcastle Court with his partner in December. (AAP Image/Dan Himbrechts)

Jarryd Hayne to face retrial over rape claims

The happy news comes amid a tumultuous time for Hayne, who will face a retrial in Sydney later this year over two rape charges against him.

In December the former NRL star said he was disappointed a NSW jury failed to clear him of rape allegations, but vowed to keep fighting.

A Newcastle District Court jury of eight men and four women was discharged on December 7 after failing to reach a verdict in the initial trial.

They told Judge Peter Whitford SC they were deadlocked and could not reach a unanimous decision or the alternative 11-1 majority verdict.

Hayne, 32, had pleaded not guilty to two charges of aggravated sexual assault recklessly inflicting actual bodily harm after being accused of raping a woman in her bedroom on the night of the 2018 NRL grand final.

Outside court, Hayne said: “I told the truth and will do it all again.”

“I'm disappointed, but it is what it is.”

The judge had earlier told the jury it was important not to reach a verdict based on Hayne’s behaviour on the night as this was “not a court of morals”.

with AAP

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.