'Incredibly difficult': Erin Molan announces sad split from partner

·Sports Editor
·3-min read
Erin Molan and Sean Ogilvy, pictured here with their daughter.
Erin Molan has announced her split from partner Sean Ogilvy. Image: Instagram/Getty

Channel Nine sports presenter Erin Molan has announced her split from partner Sean Ogilvy.

The popular rugby league presenter had been engaged to homicide detective Ogilvy since 2017, the couple sharing daughter Eliza together.

NASTY: Vision emerges of Mitchell's ugly clash with Roosters stars

'RIDICULOUS TAKE': Gus Gould hits new low with 'arrogant' insult

However Molan confirmed the sad split on Thursday after months of rumours about the relationship.

“Some personal news. Sean and I have separated,” Molan posted on Instagram.

"We are entirely committed to co-parenting our three-year-old daughter, who is the most important person in the world to both of us.

This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.

“Any breakdown of a family unit is incredibly difficult and we ask for privacy at this time – especially given the private approach that we have taken to our relationship.

“We won’t be making any further comment, Thank you.”

Molan and Ogilvy welcomed daughter Eliza in June of 2018.

That year she opened up about how she and Ogilvy met.

“I like to say that Sean saw me and fell in love straight away and that was it. But I kind of saw him and kept making eyes like subtle eyes,” she told 9Honey.

“They say you kind of know when you know, and yeah, I think I knew straight away. He ticks every box.

“I’m very blessed. I’m very lucky. He’s a beautiful boy.”

Erin Molan and Sean Ogilvy, pictured here at Golden Slipper Day in 2016.
Erin Molan and Sean Ogilvy at Golden Slipper Day in 2016. (Photo by Brendon Thorne/Getty Images for Longines)

Erin Molan's tumultuous few months

The news of the break-up comes at a tumultuous time for Molan, who is currently locked in a court battle with Daily Mail Australia.

The rugby league commentator is suing the outlet over one article and two tweets in June 2020 that refer to her saying "hooka looka mooka hooka fooka" on air in May 2020.

On Tuesday, Molan denied her many attempts at various ethnic groups' accents were forms of "ugly racial stereotypes".

The 39-year-old maintains she was not mocking Polynesian names, deliberately mispronouncing them for a laugh, or speaking in an accent when she was referring to a well-known story already heard on The Continuous Call Team radio program.

The 2GB rugby league show co-host was making light of Ray and Chris Warren mixing up the end of players' names and she was "poking fun of her colleagues," she told the Federal Court.

The original story was about Manly forward Haumole Olakau'atu, with Crown Sports Management later saying she had upset a lot of people including him, the court was told.

"They were offended by the reporting ... not what I had done," Molan said.

The Daily Mail's barrister Bruce McClintock SC played more than a dozen studio tapes. One he said showed "a despicable act of casual racism" in imitating a Chinese prostitute.

She is heard saying "I wuv you very long time, very handsome man," changing her syllables to mock a Chinese accent, he said.

But the 2DayFM presenter said she was using a well-known line from a movie, and that she and her co-hosts were the butt of all such self-deprecating humour.

"Just assume there was a Chinese woman in the room with you ... would you have said that in front of her?" Mr McClintock said.

"It would depend on the context," Molan said.

with AAP

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting