'Not Syria': Kiwi's perfect smackdown for whinging NBA players

Yahoo Sports Staff
·3-min read
Pictured here, Oklahoma's Steven Adams during an NBA game.
Steven Adams has no complaints about the NBA bubble at Disney World. Pic: Getty

Steven Adams knows how to put situations into the right perspective.

Some players have complained in recent weeks about the food and the general situation they find themselves in for the NBA’s restarted season that begins on July 31.

'INDEFENSIBLE': ESPN reporter secretly recorded in hotel room

TOUGH: NBA players turn on each other with virus 'snitch hotline'

SCARY: Aussie NBA star rocked by wife's positive test

Stars have likened the Disney World bubble to the infamous Fyre Festival, after sharing photos of their underwhelming meals at the Florida resort.

But the Oklahoma City Thunder centre isn’t about to join the chorus of criticism.

To be fair, the players’ living quarters while in quarantine come complete with pools, movie theatres, quality chefs and even a barbershop.

It’s not too shabby.

Adams, who joked earlier this month he spent quarantine boxing out cows, said criticism of the quarantine situation was ridiculous.

“Let’s be clear: This is not Syria. It’s not that hard. ... We’re living at a bloody resort,” Adams said.

“Everyone is going to complain, everyone has their own preferences, nothing too serious. Just a bit of dry food here and there.”

It’s needed perspective, especially as millions around the country are unable to work due to the COVID-19 crisis.

Even those who still have a job may be essential workers and have to risk their health in order to make a paycheck and keep their housing.

There is, of course, risk that the COVID-19 virus could get into the NBA bubble environment, but the league’s restrictions are intended to keep all of the athletes safe.

Adams turned 27 on Monday and didn’t seem fazed by a bubble birthday.

Bubble overshadowed by ‘snitch hotline’ drama

Last week it emerged that the league’s anonymous ‘snitch hotline’ had gone into overdrive.

The reports came after controversial claims from Instagram model Anna Mya that she'd received an invite into the NBA bubble by one of the players.

NBA players and staff in Orlando are clearly going to hold each other accountable for mask and social-distancing violations.

The league’s anonymous tip line has reportedly received multiple calls, with reports of players breaking the league’s safety protocols.

Players reported to the tip line have reportedly received warnings, with the NBA being aggressive with safety issues as it attempts to restart on July 30.

Pictured here, model Anna Mya says a player invited her into the NBA bubble.
Anna Mya claims to have received an invite into the NBA bubble. Images: Instagram

At least two players - Bruno Caboclo and Richaun Holmes— had to restart the quarantine process after accidentally breaking the rules.

However, some players aren’t happy that the tip line exists, with Brooklyn Nets guard Spencer Dinwiddie telling players not to use it.

Dinwiddie, 27, opted out of the season and is not in Orlando.

While some players likely share Dinwiddie’s opinion, the only way the NBA is going to resume the season is if players stay healthy.

The best way to ensure that is to follow safety protocols.

The fact that the tip line was used suggests players and staff understand what’s at stake and want everyone to take this seriously.