'On something': Lucas Browne's nasty drug shot at Paul Gallen

Chris Young
·3-min read
Lucas Browne and Paul Gallen have exchanged barbs about their history with drug testing, ahead of their bout in April 12. Pictures: Getty Images
Lucas Browne and Paul Gallen have exchanged barbs about their history with drug testing, ahead of their bout in April 12. Pictures: Getty Images

Paul Gallen and Lucas Browne have exchanged barbs about drug testing in the lead-up to their fight on on April 21, with both fighters calling for the other to be tested before stepping into the ring.

The former Cronulla Sharks player has reportedly held conversations with Sports Integrity Australia to provide drug testing at the event.

OH DEAR: 180kg man mountain's embarrassing celebration fail

GOLD: Miley Cyrus' hilarious response to UFC fighter's Valentine's Day question

This sparked an angry response from rival Browne (29-2, 25KO), who despite having tested positive to banned substances in the past, nonetheless backed Gallen's push for testing.

Browne insisted Gallen's (10-0-1, 5KO) own history with the NRL peptides scandal was reason enough to suspect foul play on his opponent's behalf.

“I’ve got no problem with the testing and I actually encourage it because I think he’s going to be on something,” Browne told the Daily Telegraph.

“I hope the testing happens, I want it to happen.”

Browne has his own chequered history with banned substances, having had his historic heavyweight title won over Ruslan Chagaev in 2016 stripped by the World Boxing Association after he tested positive to clembuterol after the fight.

He was able to overturn that decision, before again landing in hot water by returning another positive test for a banned substance in the lead-up to another fight months later.

This test though, Browne attributed to his own 'stupidity' after purchasing an over the counter supplement without doing his research on what it contained.

“I went to a supplement shop and said ‘Give me the best pre-workout you’ve got’”, he said.

“Obviously it had banned substances in it, so I looked like the biggest idiot on the planet, and I can take that because I did it to myself, it’s no one else’s fault.

“But now it looks like I’m a two-time drug cheat for really not doing anything, I haven’t cheated whatsoever.”

Aussie boxer becomes instant millionaire with $2.7m deal

Lightweight boxing stars Teofimo Lopez and Australia's George Kambosos are set to put their undefeated records on the line after agreeing on a deal that has sent shockwaves through the sport.

In what is unquestionably the deal of a lifetime for Kambosos, the 27-year-old Aussie is set to become an instant millionaire after signing an eye-watering $2.7 million contract.

The extraordinary figure is part of monster $7.65 million deal involving an emerging player in the world of boxing streaming, Thriller Fight Club.

George Kambosos has earned a monster payday as part of a new deal with broadcaster DAZN. (Photo by Hannah Peters/Getty Images)
George Kambosos has earned a monster payday as part of a new deal with broadcaster DAZN. (Photo by Hannah Peters/Getty Images)

The streaming platform - which announced itself after broadcasting Mike Tyson's comeback fight against Roy Jones Jr last year - outbid rivals DAZN and Matchroom Boxing with a staggering $7.65 million purse for the fight between Lopez and Kambosos.

Thriller's move represents a huge win for Kambosos, whose has won all 19 of his previous professional fights but faces easily his toughest test against 23-year-old Lopez - who unified the lightweight division by beating Vasyl Lomachenko in October last year.

Lopez is also undefeated after 16 professional fights, with Kambosos scoring his shot against the lightweight champion after statement wins against Mickey Bey in 2019 and more recently, Lee Selby last October.

The Aussie clinched a stunning split decision victory after the 12-round slug-fest with Selby at Wembley Stadium, earning him a mandatory shot at the lightweight belt.

With Yahoo Sport Australia/Andrew Reid

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.