Red Bull figure's explosive accusation about Lewis Hamilton crash
Lewis Hamilton has been accused of faking his injuries in an ugly aftermath to the frightening crash with Max Verstappen that wiped both drivers out of the Italian Grand Prix.
Daniel Ricciardo's drought-breaking win at Monza was somewhat overshadowed by the scary crash that ended the race for title contenders Hamilton and Verstappen.
'BAD NEWS': Staggering truth about Daniel Ricciardo's F1 triumph
FRIGHTENING: New angle emerges of Lewis Hamilton crash
'LOVE FOR ME': Ricciardo's confession about Emma Raducanu
Seven-time world champion Hamilton said afterwards that he was lucky to be alive and praised F1's 'halo' safety device after Verstappen's Red Bull slammed into his Mercedes and came within centimetres of the Brit's head.
Hamilton was taken to hospital for a check-up after the incident after claiming that it had left him with a headache and sore neck.
Stunning new footage released after the incident showed a different angle of Verstappen's Red Bull crashing over the top of Hamilton's head.
360 views of 𝙏𝙃𝘼𝙏 moment from Sunday in Monza... 💥 pic.twitter.com/OuT9GLJnAv
— Mercedes-AMG PETRONAS F1 Team (@MercedesAMGF1) September 14, 2021
The Brit also hit out at Verstappen for failing to check whether the Mercedes driver was OK after the terrifying incident.
However, Red Bull advisor Helmut Marko said Mercedes and Hamilton blew the incident way out of proportion and even went as far as suggesting that the Brit wasn't really injured,
"It was a normal racing accident. All the stories around it were pulled up by the hair by Mercedes," Marko told German newspaper Osterreich.
"Verstappen had already got out when Hamilton tried to go back to get out of the gravel.
“The medical car saw that and drove on. And then a show is put on that poor Hamilton is suddenly injured."
Marko's comments come after Hamilton was spotted rubbing shoulders with other celebrities a the Met Gala in New York.
Hamilton said he would probably need to see a specialist about his neck before the next race in Russia on September 26, while praising the role the 'halo' device played in preventing disaster.
"I feel very, very fortunate today thank God for the halo. That did ultimately save me, you know, and saved my neck," he told reporters.
"I don't think I've ever been hit on the head by a car before, and it's quite a shock for me. If you've seen the image, my head really is quite far forward.
"I'm so, so grateful that I'm still here. I feel incredibly blessed. I feel like someone was watching over me today.
"I've been racing a long time and we are taking risks out there all the time. I guess it's only when you experience something like that that you get that real shock of how you look at life and realise how fragile we are."
Lewis Hamilton unhappy with rival
Hamilton admitted afterwards that he was surprised to see Verstappen get out of his car and "just walk by" without checking to see whether the Brit was OK.
"Ultimately when we do have incidents the first thing we want to make sure is the guy that we crashed into or collide with is OK," he said.
Verstappen took to social media after the race to share his thoughts on the "unfortunate" incident.
"Today was very unfortunate. The incident could have been avoided if I had been left enough space to make the corner. You need 2 people to make that work and I feel I was squeezed out of it. When racing each other, these things can happen, unfortunately," he tweeted.
The Monza stewards blamed championship leader Verstappen and handed the Dutch 23-year-old a three place grid drop for the next race in Russia.
The FIA later announced it would launch an investigation into the 'unusual' crash, with F1 race director saying it was still important to examine the relatively low-speed impact.
Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.