'Could've killed him': Keeper's shock reaction after hospitalising teammate

Riley Morgan
Sports Reporter
Man City goalkeeper Ederson collides with teammate Eric Garcia (pictured left) and looks concerned (pictured right) as he gets treatment. (Getty Images)

Manchester City goal keeper Ederson has come under fire for appearing to smile while his teammate lay motionless on the floor after accidentally colliding with him and knocking him unconscious.

The Premier League return excited fans around the world on Wednesday as Manchester City clashed with Arsenal on Wednesday.

‘PRETTY GOOD’: Adult actress' love affair with Aussie star

‘DON’T GET IT’: Bruce Djite's powerful message on racism

But 19-year-old Spanish star Eric Garcia was forced off the pitch late on after being taken out by his own teammate.

With City 2-0 up heading into the last ten minutes of their first game back following the coronavirus-enforced break in the season, Ederson came flying out of his goal to deal with a through ball.

The Brazilian shot-stopper collided violently with Garcia in the process, leaving the 19-year-old flattened on the ground and unable to continue.

But as he lay their motionless, fans on social media became infuriated at images of Ederson sharing a smile with a teammate following the scary scenes.

Ederson was seen checking on Garcia’s wellbeing following the incident and sent a message to his teammate on Instagram.

‘Gargia, after a big scare, I hope to see you tomorrow to apologise. Stay well in safety,” he wrote on Instagram.

Garcia was taken to a local hospital but was reported to be conscious.

Man City sweep aside Arsenal

Manchester City defeated Arsenal 3-0 on Wednesday as the Premier League returned to action after 100 days away because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Raheem Sterling put City in front, Kevin de Bruyne scored the second with a penalty and Phil Foden added a third in injury-time.

David Luiz, who was at fault for the first goal, was sent off for conceding the penalty.

City's win reduced the gap between themselves and runaway leaders Liverpool to 22 points, meaning Juergen Klopp's side need two wins to secure their first title since 1990.

Manchester City's English midfielder Phil Foden (L) celebrates scoring his team's third goal. (Photo by LAURENCE GRIFFITHS/POOL/AFP via Getty Images)

Arsenal's night began badly with injuries to Grant Xhaka and Pablo Mari and got worse when Luiz, who replaced Mari, miscontrolled a De Bruyne cross, allowing Sterling to smash in the opening goal on the stroke of half-time.

And Luiz then compounded matters early in the second half when he pulled back Riyad Mahrez to concede a penalty and collect a red card.

De Bruyne sent Arsenal goalkeeper Bernd Leno the wrong way to double City's lead and Foden added the third late on after Sergio Aguero's shot was turned onto the post by Leno.

City and Arsenal had begun the match in the same way as Villa and Sheffield United, with all players, management and officials 'taking a knee' in recognition of the Black Lives Matter movement.

All the players had Black Lives Matter on the back of their shirts.

With AAP and Goal.com