Candice Warner took the cricket world by surprise on Monday night when she suggested there might be more to the story about Australia’s ball-tampering scandal than we’ve heard.
Appearing on Channel 7 reality show SAS Australia, which features a number of brutal interrogations of the contestants, Warner was asked about her husband’s role in the cheating scandal.
‘VERY CONFIDENT’: Daniel Andrews flags Boxing Day crowds
But when asked if husband David had tampered with the ball, Candice said: “No. That’s other people’s opinion. He has never said his part.”
That statement sparked speculation there could be more to the saga than previously reported.
But when Warner was back on our TV screens on the Morning Show on Tuesday, she wasn’t in the mood to elaborate.
When asked by hosts Larry Emdur and Kylie Gillies what it was like being questioned about her husband, Warner said: “It’s hard because I’ve lived it.”
“I’ve experienced every single side of good, bad, of the media and it’s very tough and it’s something that will live for us forever because it’s a personal experience.
“To be interrogated like that, it’s difficult to answer.”
When Gillies said Candice “still wouldn’t give up the Warners’ version of events” she replied: “I was on the show for myself and my family, but I wasn’t there to talk on behalf of David.”
Gillies and Emdur quickly realised they wouldn’t be getting anything out of Warner about her husband’s scandal.
“Look at that, she’s still shutting us down,” a tongue-in-cheek Gillies said with a laugh. “She just shut us down like that.”
Candice Warner reveals family heartache
Cameron Bancroft was banned for nine months for rubbing sandpaper on the ball during a Test match in South Africa in 2018.
Warner was banned for 12 months (along with Steve Smith), stripped of the vice-captaincy and told he could never hold a leadership role in the national team again.
In the aftermath, Bancroft said Warner had “suggested” he tamper with the ball.
“Dave suggested to me to carry the action out on the ball given the situation we were in in the game and I didn’t know any better,” Bancroft told Fox Sports last year.
“I didn’t know any better because I just wanted to fit in and feel valued, really - as simple as that.
“The decision was based around my values, what I valued at the time and I valued fitting in … you hope that fitting in earns you respect and with that, I guess, there came a pretty big cost for the mistake.”
— SAS Australia on 7 (@SASAust7) October 26, 2020
On SAS Australia, Candice said the media and Australian public were too quick to judge her and David.
“Too many people I feel are quick to make a judgment or opinions on myself or my family,” the former ironwoman said.
“The media make us out to be people that we’re not - bad people, bad parents.”
During the infamous tour of South Africa in 2018, Candice was the target of cruel and shameless taunts from fans about her ‘toilet tryst’ with Sonny Bill Williams in 2007.
A number of fans wore masks with Williams’ face on them, while Warner was involved in an ugly stairwell altercation with South African wicketkeeper Quinton de Kock, who allegedly sledged him about his wife.
“There were incidents in South Africa where people were trying to make fun of me, mock me. Belittle me in front of my family,” Candice said on SAS Australia.
“Because of an incident that happened in the past. And they think it’s funny.”
Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.