Melbourne Demons star Clayton Oliver has been released from hospital after undergoing an X-ray and CT scan following a medical episode. Oliver was admitted to Footscray Hospital around 9am on Thursday before being discharged a few hours later.
The four-time best-and-fairest winner is said to be doing okay, according to reports in The Herald Sun. The Demons were notified of his condition and released a statement.
'UNPROFESSIONAL': Tom Mitchell savages Hawthorn over staggering act
“The Melbourne Football Club can confirm that Clayton Oliver was admitted to hospital,” the statement read. “Clayton was transported to hospital via ambulance, following a medical episode. The hospital completed a number of tests and Clayton has since been discharged from hospital and is recovering at home. The club will continue to work with Clayton and his medical support team to ensure he receives all the necessary treatment. We ask that media respect Clayton’s privacy at this time.”
What caused the medical episode is still unclear with The Herald Sun's Jon Ralph saying the Demons’ statement did little to clear up what happened and that would result in people coming to their own conclusions.
"A medical episode - some people are gonna read between the lines there. Some people that I’ve spoken to say they felt he hit his head after potentially having a couple of drinks,” Ralph said.
“This is a really worrying situation for the Melbourne Football Club. They’ve had so much that’s happened throughout this football season, they had last week (with Oliver) and all the dramas there, and they would’ve felt that the penny would’ve dropped. Unfortunately so many people out there are having sightings of Clayton Oliver, in the wrong places, with the wrong people, or doing the wrong things. Melbourne would’ve thought the wake-up call had been provided last week; that doesn’t seem to have happened.”
Clayton Oliver's tumultuous fortnight at the Demons
Oliver's manager revealed there was 'genuine' interest in the Melbourne star's signature amid speculation the 26-year-old could be set to leave the Demons last week despite holding a seven-year deal with the Demons. It was reported that Oliver met with the club and was told to "shape up or ship off".
Demons executive Gary Pert last week said the club would support Oliver through the “personal circumstances” he had been dealing with in 2023.
Melbourne star's health troubles
Oliver was the subject of health rumours earlier this season when he missed three months of football from a minor hamstring strain. The midfielder then was hospitalised for four days with an infected blister.
There were also reports he was hospitalised for an infection sustained from giving himself a tattoo. In a recent statement the Demons said Oliver had been dealing with personal issues but they would be standing by him.
“The club has been aware of and supporting Clayton with his personal circumstances for some time and is committed to continuing to do so,' a statement from Gary Pert last week read. "While club leaders focus on the care and support Clayton needs, we also have a responsibility to uphold our strong club culture for the benefit of all our players and staff."
"We have a responsibility to ensure that everyone within the club is committed to meeting the expected behavioural standards of a player within an AFL high performance environment. Clayton understands what is expected of him as a professional athlete, as well as the standards and behaviours a Melbourne person is expected to uphold."
Sign up to our newsletter and score the biggest sport stories of the week.