Aussie boxer becomes instant millionaire with $2.7m deal

Andrew Reid
·3-min read
Pictured here, unified lightweight champion Teofimo Lopez and Aussie boxer George Kambosos
Unified lightweight champion Teofimo Lopez and Aussie George Kambosos will put their undefeated records on the line when they fight one another. Pic: Getty

Lightweight boxing stars Teofimo Lopez and Australia's George Kambosos are set to put their undefeated records on the line after agreeing on a deal that has sent shockwaves through the sport.

In what is unquestionably the deal of a lifetime for Kambosos, the 27-year-old Aussie is set to become an instant millionaire after signing an eye-watering $2.7 million contract.

OH DEAR: 180kg man mountain's embarrassing celebration fail

GOLD: Miley Cyrus' hilarious response to UFC fighter's Valentine's Day question

'THIS IS AWESOME': Fans erupt over Paige VanZant's bare-knuckle debut

The extraordinary figure is part of monster $7.65 million deal involving an emerging player in the world of boxing streaming, Thriller Fight Club.

The streaming platform - which announced itself after broadcasting Mike Tyson's comeback fight against Roy Jones Jr last year - outbid rivals DAZN and Matchroom Boxing with a staggering $7.65 million purse for the fight between Lopez and Kambosos.

Aussie boxer George Kambosos is seen here celebrating after winning a boxing match.
Aussie boxer George Kambosos is set to become a millionaire after signing a huge fight contract. Pic: Getty

Thriller's move represents a huge win for Kambosos, whose has won all 19 of his previous professional fights but faces easily his toughest test against 23-year-old Lopez - who unified the lightweight division by beating Vasyl Lomachenko in October last year.

Lopez is also undefeated after 16 professional fights, with Kambosos scoring his shot against the lightweight champion after statement wins against Mickey Bey in 2019 and more recently, Lee Selby last October.

The Aussie clinched a stunning split decision victory after the 12-round slug-fest with Selby at Wembley Stadium, earning him a mandatory shot at the lightweight belt.

The Sydneysider fired a warning to Lopez after that fight, insisting he wouldn't quit until the American's lightweight belts were his.

This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.

“I told you I’d do it. I’m too fast, too strong, too aggressive, too smart, too powerful — everything,” Kambosos told Sky Sports after the win.

“World No. 1, mandatory. Lopez, you know what it is now. Let’s do it Down Under. Two warriors, two lions, let’s go to war. Let’s do it — I want that fight.

“This is a great moment ... I’m so happy.

“I’m going to train tonight, I promise you I’m going to train tonight because I want that world title. I’m coming.”

Lopez-Kambosos set to fight in April 

According to reports, Kambosos' title fight with Lopez has been preliminarily scheduled for April 17, which would make it the co-main event on the Jake Paul vs Ben Askren card.

A venue for the fight is yet to be confirmed.

Thriller's astronomical bid for the Lopez-Kambosos fight included a $4.95 million purse for the American and his team, which effectively saw them cut ties with ESPN.

This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.

Lopez warned earlier in February that if Top Rank (an affiliate of ESPN) couldn't meet his financial demands - he wanted more than a guaranteed $1.59 million purse - then he would walk away.

"I'm looking forward, and I'm moving forward," Lopez told ESPN.

"If you can't meet the terms, then like I said, I'm taking my talents somewhere else."

Thriller Fight Club's bid blew the others out of the water with Matchroom Boxing offering $4.46 million and Top Rank bidding $2.94 million.

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.