Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury have agreed to terms on a two-fight world heavyweight title deal.
The discussions over an undisputed title showdown between the two fighters began in early May and they have now agreed on initial terms for two encounters.
'STUBBORN AND GREEDY': Star's explosive spray at UFC boss
Joshua holds the WBA, IBF, WBO and IBO belts, while Fury is the reigning WBC champion.
"We're making great progress," Joshua's promoter Eddie Hearn told Sky Sports News.
"They have both agreed to a two fight deal" 🤝— Sky Sports News (@SkySportsNews) June 10, 2020
Terms are agreed for Anthony Joshua v Tyson Fury to fight twice next year, @EddieHearn confirms
📲 Full story: https://t.co/avqSzwijSj pic.twitter.com/RCsFJcBkeh
"There is still a lot to overcome. We are looking at venues and dates.
"We have the Dillian Whyte mandatory which is due before this fight.
"It's fair to say (Joshua and Fury) are in agreement regarding the financial terms of the fight."
Joshua won back his WBA, IBF, WBO and IBO belts from Mexican-American Andy Ruiz Jr in Saudi Arabia last December.
His next fight was due to be against Bulgarian Kubrat Pulev on June 20 but it was put on hold due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Trilogy fight with Wilder still to come for Fury
Fury has to face Whyte in a mandatory bout by February 2021, and is also contracted to face Deontay Wilder for a third time.
Fury couldn't contain his excitement when confirming the deal with his fans on social media.
The 31-year-old Brit did concede that he had to deal with the trilogy fight against Deontay Wilder first but vowed to smash the Bronze Bomber's face in when they meet.
Fury overpowered Wilder in their Las Vegas rematch in February, claiming the WBC crown with a seventh round stoppage. They had previously fought to a draw in December 2018.
"I'm just got off the phone with (advisor) Daniel Kinahan. He's just informed me the biggest fight in British boxing history has been agreed," Fury said in a video posted on his Twitter account.
This will be AJ soon. #boxing He and Hearn are frauds who refused to offer Wilder or Fury 50/50 to make the fight fans wanted. The real fighter Fury has shown his balls stepping to Vlad in Germany and Wilder in America 3 times now! Offering fair, respectful deals not 70/30. pic.twitter.com/m2kLvOgex6— Kakashi (@Kakashi281991) June 10, 2020
"The fight is on for next year but there is a hurdle in the road called the Bronze Bomber AKA the knockout king (Wilder).
"But I will get on to him and knock him out and then we get on to the big fights."
with Yahoo Sport staff