Justis Huni rushed to hospital with Aussie boxer in 'serious pain'

Pictured here, Aussie boxer Justis Huni in action against New Zealander Kiki Leutele.
Aussie boxer Justis Huni has ended up in a Brisbane hospital in serious pain just days after his latest victory in the ring. Pic: Getty

Australian heavyweight boxer Justis Huni has been rushed to hospital in Brisbane after complaining of "severe stomach cramps", just days after his latest victory in the ring.

The undefeated 23-year-old star reportedly woke up on Tuesday morning with “serious pain” in his stomach, having experienced similar issues on Sunday.

'WHAT AN UPSET: SBW KO'd by UFC legend in shock boxing scenes 

INTERESTING: Gallen's chilling warning from legend over boxing career

'THIS IS TERRIBLE': Billy Dib health news shocks boxing world

Hunt's father Rocki told Fox Sports that he suspected his son was suffering from appendicitis after he was taken to the emergency department at a Brisbane hospital on Tuesday morning.

“We’re at emergency now. I’m thinking appendicitis. He initially had severe stomach cramps on Sunday. We thought it might have been something he ate," Rocki Huni said.

“But it’s continued so now we’re at hospital. We’re awaiting test results. He’s in a fair bit of pain but we have him in the best place he can be.”

Huni's health scare comes just days after he extended his unbeaten professional record against New Zealand challenger Kiki Leutele on Friday night.

Seen here, Australian heavyweight Justis Huni celebrating his victory against Kiki Toa Leutele at Brisbane's Nissan Arena.
Australian heavyweight Justis Huni celebrates his victory against Kiki Toa Leutele at Brisbane's Nissan Arena. Pic: Getty (Chris Hyde via Getty Images)

The Brisbane product overcame a brutal first four rounds, uncharacteristically remaining in close to trade punches as if to prove a point against a man who had signalled his intentions for an early knockout.

The former world amateur championship bronze medallist eventually tweaked his strategy, moving to the outside to pick apart Leutele for a unanimous points victory over 10 impressive rounds to move to 7-0 in his professional career.

However, the victory came at a cost, with Huni forced to battle through pain in his right hand amid fears he'd suffered a recurrence of the injury that saw him miss the Tokyo Olympics.

Huni's hand gave him trouble for the final five rounds, although his camp was hopeful the 23-year-old did not suffer a recurrence of the boxer's knuckle he inflamed in the victory against Paul Gallen.

Justis Huni problems could derail fight plans

Huni was in fact due to see a specialist on Tuesday to determine whether or not there was a break in his hand - a development that could throw his title aspirations up in the air.

The heavyweight star had hoped to fight again this year and had a match-up pencilled in against three-time cruiserweight world champion Mairis Briedis for early next year.

Wins in those would likely earn the 23-year-old a world ranking and edge him closer to a world title shot.

Huni's promoter Dean Lonergan admitted that his fighter needed to come through his upcoming battles unscathed, with his hospitalisation throwing yet another spanner in the works.

But Lonergan, who oversaw Horn's famous win over Manny Pacquiao and took New Zealand heavyweight Joseph Parker to the WBO world title belt, left Nissan Arena on Friday night confident Huni had taken strides forward.

"That was the toughest fight he's had to date. The game plan changed after round four ... when he got on his bike he was sticking and moving and impossible to hit," Lonergan said after the fight.

"Justis's skills came to the fore, it was a stunning effort and again with an injured hand. Kiki came to fight; was fit and throwing leather, no clinching ... his stocks have gone up tremendously."

with AAP

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.