Alex de Minaur has ruled himself out of the Australian Open, after deciding he would be unable to overcome an abdominal complaint reported earlier in the week.
In a huge disappointment for Australian fans, the world no.21 will not suit up for his home Grand Slam, despite a stellar performance in the ATP Cup weeks prior.
'CAN’T LET THIS SLIDE': Tennis players revolt in 'absurd' Australian Open controversy
The 20-year-old teamed up with Nick Kyrgios to win a thrilling doubles set against England’s Jamie Murray and Joe Salisbury in the quarter-finals.
In a press conference on Thursday, de Minaur said it was a devastating blow.
“Everyone was telling me not to play,” de Minaur said to reporters. “Getting out of bed hurt. Everyday activity hurt.
“It’s not great, I’m not going to lie. It’s pretty devastating to miss out on my home grand slam.
“I’ve got a 4 centimetre grade two tear. It’s serious. Even though it killed me, it’s the right decision.”
de Minaur also took a set from Rafael Nadal in their semi-finals singles match at the ATP Cup.
It was during the five matches de Minaur played in that tournament that he aggravated the injury.
Earlier this week, de Minuar revealed he was racing against the clock to be fit for the first major tournament of 2020.
"At the moment we're going to take it day by day," he told reporters in Adelaide on Monday.
"It's something that is not ideal. And at this stage we are just looking at short-term goals and trying to get better each day (with) a lot of treatment.
"I have seen the physios, I have seen the doctors, and I will be continuing to do that for the whole of the week and hopefully I will be ready to play in Melbourne."