'Not ideal': Alex de Minaur's devastating Australian Open setback

A devastated Alex de Minaur says he'll seek daily treatment on an abdominal injury in the hope of playing in the Australian Open starting next week.

Australia's top-ranked men’s player has withdrawn from the Adelaide International, which was to have been his final preparation for the Open.

GAME RECOGNISES GAME: Roger Federer's brilliant gesture for Ash Barty

‘DON’T UNDERSTAND TENNIS’: Nadal rips 'disrespectful' ATP Cup crowd

‘JUST BRILLIANT’: Tennis stars' staggering donation to bushfire victims

De Minaur has stopped short of declaring himself a certain starter in Melbourne.

"At the moment we're going to take it day by day," he told reporters in Adelaide on Monday.

"It's something that is not ideal. And at this stage we are just looking at short-term goals and trying to get better each day (with) a lot of treatment.

"I have seen the physios, I have seen the doctors, and I will be continuing to do that for the whole of the week and hopefully I will be ready to play in Melbourne."

Alex de Minaur, Australia's top ranked men's player, is facing a race against time to be fit for the Australian Open. (Photo by Speed Media/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

The flare up of the injury comes after de Minaur played five matches over nine days at the ATP Cup, which included a doubles encounter.

The 20-year-old, the top seed at the Adelaide International after last week's withdrawal of world No.2 Novak Djokovic, said he was "devastated" to pull out of the tournament.

"Obviously I am not in the happiest mood," de Minaur said.

"But it's something that happens ... I have just got to do whatever I can to make sure my body recovers.

"And right now my sole focus in on making sure I recover for my next one (tournament)."

De Minaur hopeful ATP Cup form will carry over

At the ATP Cup, de Minaur won two singles matches and pushed world No.1 Rafael Nadal to three sets in Australia's semi-final loss to Spain last Saturday night in Sydney.

"I have often been told that I don't have the weapons to beat these higher-level guys," he said.

"But I think I have sort of showed that I have got another part of my game that I can go to.

"Just overall, mentally, physically, it's just a constant work in progress and I'm going to keep on improving and keep on getting better and hopefully keep on breaking barriers."

Despite his strong showing at the ATP Cup, de Minaur will suffer a rankings drop before the Australian Open.

He's now No.21 in the world, down three spots, because he didn't defend all the points accrued from his Sydney International win from last year.

At the Open, being seeded 20th due to the withdrawal of Kei Nishikori, the local hope could face a top-10 rival as early as round three.