The girlfriend of Aussie tennis star Bernard Tomic has apologised for her Australian Open quarantine rant that has come under fire from viewers.
Vanessa Sierra - an OnlyFans and former reality TV star - caused a stir last week after taking to social media to complain about the conditions she and Tomic were experiencing during lockdown in Melbourne.
THANKS BUT NO THANKS: Fresh fallout in Margaret Court controversy
NOT INTERESTED: Tomic's girlfriend scoffs at money suggestion
'DEVASTATED': Andy Murray's heartbreaking Aus Open news
She complained that the food served at their quarantine hotel room in Melbourne was cold and grumbled about having to wash her own hair.
“This is the worst part of quarantine,” Sierra said on her YouTube channel.
“I don't wash my own hair. I've never washed my own hair. It's just not something that I do. I normally have hairdressers that do it twice a week for me.
“This is the situation that we're dealing with. I can't wait to get out of quarantine just so I can get my hair done.”
Sierra was widely derided for her comments, which she insists were meant to be light-hearted and were taken out of context by the media.
She also hit out at trolls on social media after revealing that she'd received death threats in the wake of her remarks.
However, the 25-year-old took the opportunity to apologise to anyone she might have offended, during a recent vlog on her Youtube channel.
“During this time of COVID, a lot of people are going through s*** and struggling … so for the people I offended, I do apologise,” she said.
“It was not intended to upset anyone, it was just supposed to be lighthearted.”
Sierra says she never expected her comments to cause "so much drama" and admitted that the whole saga has taken its toll.
“It’s been really overwhelming. I’ve received death threats and so many abusive messages,” she said.
“My vlogs are intended for showing people my personal (life). I try and be honest and show people things as they are.
“I don’t think I really complained (that much) other than about the food and I do apologise to the chefs, they’ve made a big effort to improve the food.”
Comments meant to be light-hearted
Sierra insists her comments were part of a lengthy vlog for her Youtube channel and blamed the media for taking them out of context to make her look like a whinger.
“It’s easy to take something out of context when you take 2 sentences out of a 10 minute vlog, and throw it in a negative news story on mainstream media amidst tennis player complaints about their mandatory quarantine,” she wrote on Instagram on Tuesday night.
“My vlog is irrelevant to the above complaints. Social media is my full time work and daily vlogs on YouTube are a part of this, I’m real, honest and raw and show things as they are.
“Watching the snippets, as an outsider on channel 7’s twisted story with no idea of who I am, what I do, or having watched any of my previous vlogs of course it’s going to look bad. How could it not? You can shape anything to look bad with a bit of cutting and merging into a negative news story
“Had these same people watched my vlog without 7’s influence, I’m sure they would’ve seen my video as tongue in cheek and light-hearted, and found it somewhat interesting to have this preview of our lives.
“People who know me know I’m not one to complain. And yes. I will make jokes to brighten a mentally challenging situation”.
Sierra also called out those who'd sent her death threats in a defiant message to the haters.
“You guys are the true definitions of class clowns on a witch hunt and if I want to laugh about how bad my hair is in quarantine I unapologetically will. Have a cry,” she posted on Instagram on Monday night.
“I’m getting so many death threats over my hair joke.
“If people actually watched my vlog instead of going off a news story they would see I was lighthearted about the entire thing and did not make any complaints.
Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.