Fremantle received good news on Tuesday when the test result showed negative for the coronavirus.
"Given the club's position in the community, we made a decision on Monday afternoon to take a very conservative approach even though the player did not fit all the WA Health Department criteria for COVID-19 testing," Fremantle chief executive Simon Garlick said.
"We understand the high level of interest surrounding one of our players being sent for precautionary testing for COVID-19.
"The facts are that the player presented with flu-like symptoms after being in contact with a friend who had visited China, even though that person had self-isolated for 14 days following his return to the country and hadn't displayed any symptoms of the virus.
"It was another two weeks after the isolation period that the friend visited the player late last month.
"We felt it was important to be proactive and diligent to ensure the safety of our players, staff and broader community."
A Fremantle Dockers player has been sent in for a precautionary coronavirus test after coming down with flu-like symptoms.
The unnamed player had contact with a friend who had been in China earlier this year.
‘UNEDUCATED, GOOSE’: Radio hosts in ugly on-air spat over women's footy
According to the player, the friend underwent a 14-day isolation period after returning from China, during which he suffered no flu-like symptoms.
The friend then travelled to Perth to visit the Dockers player.
"The player reported to club medical staff (on Monday) that he was suffering flu-like symptoms," the club said in a statement.
"As a precautionary measure and despite the fact that the friend had reported no flu-like symptoms, the player was immediately sent for testing and isolated.
"The test results are expected to take 24-48 hours. The club will provide a further update when more information becomes available."
The AFL last week insisted it was in constant contact with the government and health professionals in a bid to take the necessary precautions around the deadly virus.
Club statement regarding precautionary player Covid-19 testing ⬇️ #foreverfreo
— Fremantle Dockers (@freodockers) March 9, 2020
"For the information we have at hand now, and we're being urged by the federal government and the health authorities to go about our lives and our business as normal," League general manager of clubs and broadcasting Travis Auld said.
"If that information changes, then our fans should feel confident and assured that we'll be well prepared for that.
"There's some uncertainties, and all we can do is best plan for what we know right now."
The outbreak of the virus is causing havoc on sporting fixtures around the world.
The round 11 match between St Kilda and Port Adelaide in China has been moved to Marvel Stadium because of the spread of the virus.
'Fifth major' in tennis cancelled due to coronavirus
On Monday, the tennis world was left in shock as the Indian Wells tournament became the latest high-profile event affected by coronavirus.
Often described as the sport's 'fifth major', players and fans were left in a state of shock over the decision to cancel the tournament
“There is too great a risk, at this time, to the public health of the Riverside County area in holding a large gathering of this size,” said Dr. David Agus, Professor of Medicine and Biomedical Engineering at the University of Southern California.
“It is not in the public interest of fans, players and neighboring areas for this tournament to proceed. We all have to join together to protect the community from the coronavirus outbreak.”
“We appreciate the proactive stance tournament organizers are taking to ensure public health and safety,” said Martin Massiello, Executive Vice President & Chief Operating Officer, Eisenhower Health.
“We are very disappointed that the tournament will not take place, but the health and safety of the local community, fans, players, volunteers, sponsors, employees, vendors, and everyone involved with the event is of paramount importance,” said Tournament Director Tommy Haas. “We are prepared to hold the tournament on another date and will explore options.”
With Yahoo Sport Staff