AFL commentator Brian Taylor airlifted to hospital after explosion

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·Sports Editor
·3-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
Brian Taylor, pictured here before an AFL game in 2017.
Brian Taylor looks on before an AFL game in 2017. (Photo by Scott Barbour/Getty Images)

AFL commentator Brian Taylor was airlifted to hospital on Wednesday after suffering burns in a gas explosion on his farm in Gippsland, Victoria.

The Channel 7 commentator and former Richmond and Collingwood player was reportedly airlifted to the Alfred Hospital after suffering 'minor' burns to his face.

'NO IDEA': AFL legend savages Carlton over ugly coaching farce

BRUTAL: Fears over Collingwood captain's 'soul destroying' decision

According to The Herald Sun, emergency services were called to the Walhalla property around midday and paramedics treated Taylor at the scene.

The local fire brigade said the incident was caused by an explosion with a gas fridge.

“Assisting Ambulance Victoria in Walhalla this afternoon with a minor gas explosion from a gas fridge causing injuries to a male occupant of the household, who was airlifted to hospital for treatment,” the Erica and District Fire Brigade posted on Facebook.

“We wish them speedy recovery.”

A Channel 7 spokesperson confirmed it was Taylor who was injured.

The 59-year-old is expected to make a full recovery and return to his TV duties this weekend.

“He keeps a low profile,” Walhalla resident Frank Ryan told The Herald Sun about Taylor.

“He doesn’t big note himself or anything like that. You wouldn’t even recognise him in the street.”

The Erica and District Fire Brigade's post, pictured here on Facebook.
The Erica and District Fire Brigade's post about the Brian Taylor incident. Image: Facebook

AFL makes massive call on AFL grand final location

Meanwhile, Perth is all-but certain to host the AFL grand final for the first time after Optus Stadium was officially named the standby venue for the season decider.

The final game of the season is poised to be moved from the MCG for the second-consecutive season amid Melbourne's latest coronavirus outbreak.

The showpiece game hasn't been officially taken away from Melbourne yet, with the league waiting on the Victorian government inevitably relinquishing the MCG's hosting rights.

Standing in the way is the AFL's contract with the state government for the MCG to be the home of the grand final until at least 2058.

Wayne Carey and Brian Taylor, pictured here in action for Channel 7 in 2019.
Wayne Carey and Brian Taylor in action for Channel 7 in 2019. (Photo by Paul Kane/Getty Images)

Last year the AFL and the Victorian government were able to work out a one-year extension of that landmark deal before the grand final was shifted to the Gabba in Brisbane.

Metropolitan Melbourne will remain in a hard lockdown until at least September 2, with a high chance it could be extended further, ruling out a large crowd at a sporting event in Victoria for the immediate future.

"Today I had a conversation with the West Australian premier (Mark) McGowan ... where we let them know that Optus Stadium would be the home of the AFL grand final in the event that it is not able to happen at the MCG," AFL boss Gillon McLachlan said on Wednesday.

The AFL has made it clear it wants the remainder of the season to be played in front of crowds with the 60,000-capacity Optus Stadium expected to host other finals in coming weeks.

"It is not in my contemplation to play a grand final without a crowd," McLachlan added.

with AAP

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting