Collingwood’s list manager has suggested Collingwood would never have thought about trading Adam Treloar if his wife hadn’t signed up to play netball in Queensland.
Fans and former players are livid after the Pies offloaded four players, headlined by star midfielder Treloar, in the final hours of the AFL trade period on Thursday.
‘GET CHECKED’: Carlton captain reveals shock diagnosis
Treloar’s move to the Western Bulldogs came after weeks of speculation around his future, sparked by wife Kim Ravaillion’s decision to sign with the Queensland Firebirds for next year.
Ravaillion, an elite netballer who represents the Australian Diamonds, previously played for Collingwood in Super Netball but took the 2020 season off for the birth of the couple’s daughter Georgie.
On Thursday night, Collingwood list manager Ned Guy admitted Treloar would probably still be at the club if Ravaillion was staying put in Victoria.
“We had some conversations with Adam and (manager) Tim (Hazell) originally around whether his family was going to move to Queensland and whether he wanted to do that and it evolved from having that conversation to he thought he’d look at another opportunity,” Guy told Fox Footy.
When asked if Collingwood would have considered trading Treloar if Ravaillion was continuing her career in Victoria, Guy said: “That was the catalyst for the discussion.”
“We wouldn’t have looked to have that discussion. It wouldn’t have evolved from that, I wouldn’t have thought, no.”
Treloar landed at the Western Bulldogs after his deal was processed right on the Thursday night deadline.
The 27-year-old joined wingman Tom Phillips (Hawthorn), goalsneak Jaidyn Stephenson and three-game youngster Atu Bosenavulagi (both North Melbourne) in exiting Collingwood.
Collingwood fans seethe over $2 million ‘fire-sale’
The Magpies' salary cap issues are well known, with a plethora of players on lucrative long-term contracts.
However Guy denied it was the reason for clearing out three best-22 players for draft picks.
Collingwood have played finals for three-straight years and lost the 2018 grand final by five points.
“I don't think it's a fire sale at all. I just think we want to replenish the list,” Guy said.
“To be able to get into the first round (of the draft) you've got to give something up.
“I think it's a bit of a beat-up, the salary cap issues. I think it’s topical and people like to talk about it.”
But the club’s large of army of fans are livid at the exodus and are not buying the excuses for losing players who were all contracted next year.
Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley described seeing three best-22 players depart in cut-price trades as his toughest day in footy.
Buckley, who lost two grand finals as a Collingwood player and one as a coach, was shattered by losing the talented trio, as well as three-game youngster Atu Bosenavulagi.
“My toughest day in footy.... bar none,” Buckley wrote on Twitter.
“Managing contracted players who love the environment out of the club is a lose/lose situation in the short term. The decisions aren't popular but they were necessary.
“I wish Adam, Jaidyn, Tom and Atu all the best at their new clubs.”
Former players Dane Swan and Dale Thomas were among those to criticise Collingwood on social media.
Treloar is off to the Western Bulldogs after 94 games with the Magpies since arrived at the club from Greater Western Sydney in 2015 for two first-round draft picks.
He was blindsided by the decision to move him on and was contracted at Collingwood until the end of the 2025 season.
Phillips was snapped up by Hawthorn in a bargain-basement deal, with the Hawks only giving up pick 65.
Stephenson and Bosenavulagi were both offloaded to North Melbourne.
Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.