- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
Eddie McGuire says a hard conversation with his family convinced him it was time to quit breakfast radio, dismissing rumours he was sacked from Triple M.
The Collingwood chairman announced on Wednesday that he was leaving the Triple M Hot Breakfast show after 11 years, along with co-host Luke Darcy.
‘GET CHECKED’: Carlton captain reveals shock diagnosis
McGuire said he’s always promised his family he would quit breakfast radio once his sons had both finished school.
“Those closest to me have always known that I continued with breakfast radio while my boys were at school and now my youngest has finished it’s time too for me to finish up a wonderful 11 year run with a 4am alarm,” McGuire said on Thursday.
However rumours swirled late on Wednesday that Triple M had forced McGuire’s hand, with fellow media personality Derryn Hinch leading the charge.
The Triple M Hot Breakfast has been losing audience share recently, down 0.9 points to 5.8% in the most recent ratings.
However McGuire dismissed those claims on Thursday morning.
“We spoke as late as last week with Triple M,” McGuire told the Herald Sun.
“They were keen to look at planning for the next five years, and we thought, ‘This is a good way to finish.’
“But, in my mind, it was probably since June I’ve known it would be the last year.”
McGuire admitted he and Darcy hadn’t always seen eye-to-eye, but shot down speculation that led to their departures.
McGuire said a confronting conversation with his family was behind his decision to walk away.
The 56-year-old explained how he reached “breaking point” when he laid down for a nap at 10am one day and woke up at 3pm.
“(Wife) Carla and the boys said to me at that stage, and they were very strong on this, ‘Enough. This is going to kill you’,” McGuire revealed.
“As much as I try to put as much into every working day, there comes a time where there’s a breaking point.
“I got too tired in the end. I would nod off in meetings, nod off at home, and I’d be zoned out at dinner.
“That’s part of life, that’s what every business person does. I’m not crying for help here. But in the end it was enough.”
As well as his breakfast radio commitments and role as chairman of Collingwood, McGuire also hosts Millionaire Hotseat and regularly appears on Channel Nine show Footy Classified.
Eddie McGuire and Luke Darcy both quit
Announcing his decision on Wednesday, McGuire said it was simply “time to move on.”
“I joined Triple M 32 years ago as a young journo and this year has been a year like no other for all of us,” McGuire told the Herald Sun.
“We found ourselves able to broadcast six hours a day and on weekends when COVID-19 hit.
“It has also been a true honour and pleasure for us to be with Melbourne every step of the way and the most important year in our show’s history.
“Without listeners radio is nothing.”
Triple M’s Head of Content Mike Fitzpatrick said: “Eddie has brought a unique insight into our city every day and side by side with Luke Darcy, Mick Molloy and Wil Anderson, they created one of the great breakfast shows of all time.
“It’s been a pleasure and a highlight to work with this show and the incredibly talented people, both on and off air, who’ve made it.”
Former AFL player Darcy added: “The last 11 years has been the most enjoyable experience you could imagine.”
Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.