Wolves 3-4 Manchester United: Kobbie Mainoo scores in 97th minute as United win seven-goal thriller

Teenager Kobbie Mainoo netted a stoppage-time winner as Manchester United beat Wolves 4-3 in a remarkable match at Molineux.

The Red Devils moved up to seventh in the Premier League table, putting in their best first-half display of the season in which they scored two goals which counted and two more rightly disallowed for offside.

But they heaped unnecessary pressure on themselves in the second half, conceding two needless goals, before academy graduate Mainoo won the game for Erik ten Hag’s side.

Marcus Rashford was handed his first start since making headlines for all the wrong reasons, due to his late-night clubbing in Belfast earlier this week.

Erik ten Hag insisted it was “case closed” and Rashford responded with an excellent performance, curling United into the lead with a gorgeous finish after just five minutes.

United were in rampant mood and doubled their lead on 22 minutes when Rashford played to the overlapping Luke Shaw, who crossed for Rasmus Hojlund to score his ninth goal of the season.

It was a slightly soft penalty won and scored by Wolves substitute Pablo Sarabia which got the hosts back into the game. The striker stepped up to calmly roll the ball down the middle.

But United had a goalscoring substitute of their own — Scott McTominay popping up with another big goal this season as his header from a Bruno Fernandes corner restored the Red Devils’ two-goal lead.

Wolves made for a nervy finish when Max Kilman steered home from close range. And the way United irresponsibly poured forward in stoppage time backfired in the fifth minute of stoppage time when Pedro Neto slotted the ball between Raphael Varane’s legs and earned Wolves what they thought must have been an undeserved but very welcome point.

Instead, United had other ideas and scored just two minutes later, with Mainoo curling the ball round two defenders for a fine winner, fitting of winning a fine game.