Tennis fans shattered over Marin Cilic and Matteo Berrettini news

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·6-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
Marin Colic and Matteo Berrettini, pictured here at Wimbledon.
Marin Colic and Matteo Berrettini have both withdrawn from Wimbledon. Image: Getty

Former Wimbledon finalists Marin Cilic and Matteo Berrettini have both been forced to withdraw from Wimbledon after testing positive for Covid-19.

Berrettini, who won back-to-back titles in Stuttgart and at Queen's Club in the lead-up to Wimbledon, announced the shattering news in an Instagram post on Tuesday.

BEAUTIFUL: Wimbledon star's classy act amid 'horrible' ball kid drama

'STUPID': Nick Kyrgios lashes out over Wimbledon tradition

"I am heartbroken to announce that I need to withdraw from Wimbledon due to a positive Covid-19 test result," the World No.11 posted.

"I have had flu symptoms and been isolating the last few days.

"Despite symptoms not being severe, I decided it was important to take another test this morning to protect the health and safety of my fellow competitors and everyone else involved in the tournament.

"I have no words to describe the extreme disappointed I feel. The dream is over for this year, but I will be back stronger. Thank you for the support."

The Italian was a perfect 9-0 on grass this year and was shaping as a contender for the title at Wimbledon having finished runner-up to Novak Djokovic 12 months ago.

Matteo Berrettini, pictured here after losing to Novak Djokovic in the Wimbledon final in 2021.
Matteo Berrettini lost to Novak Djokovic in the Wimbledon final in 2021. (Photo by Simon Bruty/Anychance/Getty Images)

The devastating news followed that of Cilic earlier on Monday, with the former US Open champion also announcing his withdrawal.

The Croatian was on the same side of the draw as Rafael Nadal and projected to play the 22-time grand slam champion in the quarter-finals.

Cilic reached the Wimbledon final in 2017, where he lost in straight sets to eight-time champion Roger Federer.

The Croatian said he self-isolated after coming down with an illness and remained indoors to avoid coming into close proximity with anyone while feeling sick.

However, the 14th seed ultimately had to withdraw from the grand slam after a Covid-19 test came back positive.

Matteo Berrettini and Novak Djokovic, pictured here on the practice courts at Wimbledon.
Matteo Berrettini and Novak Djokovic on the practice courts at Wimbledon. (Photo by Steven Paston/PA Images via Getty Images)

“Hey guys, I am sad to share that I tested positive for COVID," Cilic said, adding that he was "heartbroken" to see his season on grass end.

"I have been self-isolating and was hopeful I would be ready but unfortunately I am still feeling unwell and unable to compete at my best."

Cilic's spot in the men's draw has been taken by lucky loser Nuno Borges.

Just last week, Cilic was seen practising on centre court with Djokovic in a huge break from Wimbledon tradition.

In a 145-year first for the grass-court grand slam, players have been allowed to practice on centre court at Wimbledon before the tournament got underway.

In a staggering twist, Berrettini was also seen shaking hands with Djokovic as the pair crossed paths before and after their respective practice sessions.

Novak Djokovic through to second round

Djokovic earlier kicked off his Wimbledon campaign by becoming the first player to win 80 matches at all four grand slams, while teenage star Carlos Alcaraz battled over five sets to make the second round.

Six-time champion and top seed Djokovic saw off South Korea's Kwon Soo-woo 6-3, 3-6, 6-3, 6-4.

Djokovic, 35, is attempting to win a fourth successive Wimbledon title and join a select group.

In the Open era, only Bjorn Borg, Pete Sampras and Roger Federer have managed such a streak at the All England Club.

Alcaraz, a potential quarter-final opponent for Djokovic, came back from two sets to one down to defeat Germany's Jan-Lennard Struff.

Pictured here, Novak Djokovic thanks fans after his first round win at Wimbledon.
Novak Djokovic says he was surprised by the crowd reception he was given during his first round win at Wimbledon. Pic: Getty

The 19-year-old fired 30 aces and 73 winners in a dazzling display of shot-making to win 4-6, 7-5, 4-6, 7-6 (7/3), 6-4.

Spain's Alejandro Davidovich Fokina knocked out 2021 semi-finalist Hubert Hurkacz courtesy of the tournament's first final-set 10-point tiebreak.

World number 37 Davidovich Fokina triumphed over the seventh-seeded Pole 7-6 (7/4), 6-4, 5-7, 2-6, 7-6 (10/8) in a match interrupted twice by rain.

Around two hours of play was lost on Monday due to rain, with 10 matches cancelled.

with agencies

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting