'Terrible news': Wimbledon rocked by major Covid-19 bombshell

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·Sports Editor
·3-min read
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
Johanna Konta, pictured here at a pre-tournament press conference at Wimbledon.
Johanna Konta attends a pre-tournament press conference at Wimbledon. (Photo by AELTC/FLORIAN EISELE/POOL/AFP via Getty Images)

Johanna Konta has been forced to withdraw from Wimbledon after a member of her team tested positive for Covid-19.

The Sydney-born British player must undertake a 10-day quarantine period after being identified as a close contact even though she has not tested positive.

'HOW SAD': Serena Williams' shock announcement at Wimbledon

'GOOD TO GO': Ash Barty's telling response amid Wimbledon concerns

"A member of Johanna Konta's team presented with Covid-19 symptoms this morning, and immediately isolated and undertook a PCR test in accordance with The Championships' testing protocols," a statement from Wimbledon officials said on Sunday.

"A positive result was returned which resulted in the AELTC, together with Public Health England, identifying Johanna Konta to be a close contact.

"In line with government legislation, she is required to self-isolate for 10 days and therefore is withdrawn from The Championships."

Britain's No.1 female player, who made the semi-final at Wimbledon in 2017, was due to play Katerina Siniakova in the first round on Tuesday.

Wimbledon was cancelled last year because of the pandemic and this year's tournament is being held under strict Covid-19 protocols with all players in a bio-secure bubble.

Unlike in normal years, they are all staying in a central London hotel and their entourage is limited to three people.

Attendances are capped at 50% for the start of the tournament as part of a government-approved 'pilot event' for the safe return of crowds to sporting venues.

Johanna Konta, pictured here in action during the final at Nottingham.
Johanna Konta in action during the final at Nottingham. (Photo by Nathan Stirk/Getty Images for LTA)

Brutal blow for in-form Johanna Konta

Konta's withdrawal will send shockwaves around the rest of the field and is a huge blow to the 30-year-old, who was in fine form after winning the Nottingham title in the build-up to Wimbledon.

She was in the bubble with her fiancee, her coach Dan Smethurst and her strength and conditioning coach Gill Myburgh.

"Both Johanna and her team member had tested negative on all their previous tests undertaken within The Championships' protocols," the statement said.

"Both individuals were advised of the positive test and close contact classification and are now self-isolating for the next 10 days."

Lucky loser Wang Yafan from China will replace Konta in the draw.

This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.
This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.
This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.
This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.
This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.

with AAP

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting