Bernard Tomic shrugged off the prospect of being stripped of his 45,000-pound ($A81,000) prize money after losing the second shortest match at Wimbledon on Tuesday.
The controversial Australian, who has been accused of not trying previously in his career, lost 6-2, 6-1, 6-4 to France's Jo-Wifried Tsonga in just 58 minutes.
‘NOT MY JOB’: Kyrgios destroys journo over ‘salty’ Nadal saga
‘IRRELEVANT’: Ash Barty brushes off World No.1 pressure in style
It was only four minutes longer than it took Roger Federer to defeat Alejandro Falla of Colombia in 2004.
"I think I played as best as I could. It's just I played terrible," said the world number 96, who was a top 20 player in 2011 but has been dubbed 'Tomic the tank engine' in sections of the media.
When he was asked if he was happy with the effort he was making on court, he snapped: "Next question please."
Fans looked bemused as the world No.96 offered token resistance, barely running for shots as the 34-year-old Tsonga cruised through to the second round.
Social media channels lit up with Wimbledon followers slating Tomic's apparent lack of effort with "appalling", "embarrassing" and "pathetic".
Bernard Tomic loses 6-2, 6-1, 6-4 to Tsonga in 58 minutes – the shortest Wimbledon men's match for 15 years. Pathetic. Not even worth first-round loser's fee. Followed by a press conference not so much monosyllabic as moronic. 'Do you wish you had more consistency?' 'Not really.'— Oliver Brown (@oliverbrown_tel) July 2, 2019
Bernard Tomic just lost a best of 5 tennis match in 58 minutes.— José Morgado (@josemorgado) July 2, 2019
There is a fine looming.
I’m with Todd Woodbride...Tomic, what a disgrace. After last nights display, let’s ignore Tomic...starting NOW!— Dino Davanzo (@Utingu) July 3, 2019
The commentators on the #TomicTsonga match at #Wimbledon are winning the match for me! They haven't held back with their scathing opinions on lazy ass #Tomic he's a disgrace to the sport! Actually yawning waiting for a serve!— Carol (@CelticGirlC) July 2, 2019
Bernard Tomic is a disgrace to Australian tennis and the meaning of sportsmanship. If you don’t want to be there we don’t want you there. Stop wasting everyone’s time. #Wimbledon2019— TB (@tbrittonphoto) July 2, 2019
Commentating on BBC TV, former British No.1 John Lloyd said he could have watched a more competitive match in his local park.
The Aussie said he knew very early on in the match that it wasn’t going to be his day.
"I knew if I didn't feel good, I'd lose this match quickly. We played so fast. It's not like we're going to have a lot of rallies out there."
After failing to defend third-round points from last year, Tomic is projected to tumble outside the world's top 100 after Wimbledon.
The 26-year-old faces a fight to make the main-draw direct entry cut-off for the US Open starting in late August.
"Try and do tournaments at Newport, Atlanta, Washington, all their hard courts," Tomic said when asked what was next.
"I've got to get ready for that, for sure."
Tomic has run foul of the Wimbledon authorities in the past.
Two years ago, he was fined after admitting he had faked an injury and complained of being bored in defeat to Germany's Mischa Zverev.
His racquet sponsor Head dropped him as a client.
"I expected a match like this," said Tsonga.
Tomic would not be the first player to be fined for alleged lack of effort in recent weeks.
America's Anna Tatishvili was stripped of her first round prize money at Roland Garros for "not playing at a professional standard".
She lost to Greece's 33rd-ranked Maria Sakkari, 6-0, 6-1 in just 55 minutes, only three minutes fewer than Tomic who had played a set more.
Tatishvili had returned to competition following a 31-month absence due to a serious ankle injury and multiple surgeries.
She is appealing the ruling, claiming she is the victim of discrimination.