Wayne Bennett is reportedly seeking $400,000 in compensation from his former employers.
According to The Courier Mail, Bennett has sent legal documents to the Brisbane Broncos asking for compensation after his sacking earlier this month.
Broncos CEO Paul White has reportedly confirmed the letter was sent on December 14 from Bennett’s lawyers.
But in a bizarre twist, Bennett will actually be suing his new employer South Sydney if he goes ahead with court proceedings.
It has been revealed that the Rabbitohs have agreed to pay 50 per cent of any payout the Broncos provide to Bennett.
The mastercoach walked straight into an $800,000 deal with the Rabbitohs after he was sacked by his former club.
The new development comes after Bennett previously said he wouldn’t sue the Broncos and his move to Souths ‘wasn’t about money’.
“I don’t want any payout. It’s about the promise I made to my players (to coach them at Brisbane in 2019),” Bennett said in November.
Did Bennett go behind Seibold’s back?
The Broncos sacked Bennett after stating he’d breached his contract by talking to Souths players about 2019.
Anthony Seibold, the man he traded places with, unloaded on Bennett in a News Corp Australia interview, claiming the seven-time premiership-winner had telephoned Damien Cook, Alex Johnston and Sam Burgess and had organised a pre-season training camp for the Rabbitohs squad, all while still coaching the Broncos.
While Bennett admitted he had talked to the three players, he denied he had ever discussed plans for next season.
“Yeah I did on the request of Shane Richardson (Souths’ general manager of football) because they were guys that were under contract,” Bennett said.
“They wanted to keep them here and I was going to be the long-term coach here from 2020.
“I talked to them about contracts. Alex in his particular case, he was thinking about moving clubs in the middle of his contract. Souths weren’t keen to lose him. Those are purely what those discussions were about.”