Benoit Paire facing $80,000 fine over 'disgraceful' act at US Open

·Sports Editor
·5-min read
Benoit Paire, pictured here in action at the US Open.
Benoit Paire is likely to be docked his $80,000 first round prize money after his loss at the US Open. Image: Eurosport/Getty

Benoit Paire has admitted he may have played his last match of professional tennis after a controversial showing in the first round at the US Open that has left him facing an $80,000 fine.

The French veteran lost 6-0 7-6 (7-1) 6-0 to Cameron Norrie on Tuesday in a strange first-round clash in which Paire appeared not to be giving his maximum effort at times.

'DISGUSTING': Serena Williams caught up in ugly drama at US Open

'NEVER SEEN THAT': Bianca Andreescu's wardrobe gaffe baffles US Open

Paire, who has been accused of tanking matches a number of times throughout his career, lost the first set in just 18 minutes and the third in 19.

He was so dispirited that at 0-5 down in the third set he packed all his things into his bag despite there being at least another game to play.

Paire stepped up his game in the second set when play was briefly halted amid sweltering conditions for a distressed fan, and he even had a chance to level the match when he served at 5-3.

But the veteran could not capitalise and was broken in the next game before being out-gunned in the one-sided tiebreak.

Speaking to French publication L'Equipe after the match, Paire admitted he was considering retiring.

“I was leading 5-3, I could have taken the second set, it would have done me good in the head, but my demons came back again, the double faults, and it starts all the time the same," he said.

“We’ll see what happens. I’m not sure to continue the season, maybe stop there and see if I resume next year.

“Even at grand slams, I find it difficult to fight. I hope one day to find a motivation, something that will make me love tennis. Right now, I’m the happiest when I’m at home and the unhappiest when I’m in the tournament.

“I don’t even want to get angry on a tennis court any more. It’s not a good sign – if I don’t get angry, it’s because I don’t care.”

Benoit Paire, pictured here sitting on the court during his match against Cameron Norrie at the US Open.
Benoit Paire sits on the court during his match against Cameron Norrie at the US Open. (Photo by TIMOTHY A. CLARY/AFP via Getty Images)

Tennis world reacts to Benoit Paire controversy

Norrie said of Paire's showing: "Obviously it was really hot, and maybe towards the end of that third set he was playing really quick and trying to make the points really short, and maybe the heat was getting to him."

Paire, who sat down in a corner of the court to take advantage of the shade during a break in play, will pocket US$80,000 for his 98-minute defeat (AU$117,000).

However the Grand Slam board could be inclined to strip him of the prize money if they deem he didn't give his full effort.

The entire match was only 15 minutes longer than it took Carlos Alcaraz and Sebastian Baez to play the second set of their gruelling first round clash taking place at the same time on Arthur Ashe Stadium.

Paire, now ranked 173 in the world, came into the tournament with just four wins all year.

He remains a polarising figure having been warned for not trying at Wimbledon in 2021.

He was also kicked off the French team at the Olympics last year for flouting team rules.

"He's a really good guy. Everyone loves him on the tour, and he's super talented, as well," Norrie said.

"Yeah, I think he has days like this, it's tough to be consistent on the tour playing like that."

Tennis fans and commentators were quick to condemn Paire's effort on Tuesday.

with agencies

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.