- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
Alexander Zverev has denied fresh claims of domestic violence from ex-girlfriend Olga Sharypova and has launched legal proceedings.
The Olympic gold medallist has again denied abuse allegations and says he will support the introduction of a domestic violence policy by the men's pro tour.
'GOOD LORD': Naomi Osaka at centre of 'revolting' US Open furore
'END OF AN ERA': Tennis world reeling over Serena Williams news
The 24-year-old German, the runner-up at the US Open last year, issued a statement about the matter on Friday and briefly addressed it at a pre-tournament news conference.
"I've always said that the allegations and everything that has been said is untrue. The court confirmed that," Zverev said at the news conference.
"So there's nothing else to say from my side because, as I said, the court confirmed that it's untrue."
Zverev was granted a preliminary injunction in Germany against the author and publisher of the allegations.
"The court followed our arguments and states, the accusations are defamatory and false," his statement said.
No action was sought against Sharypova.
Sharypova, herself a former tennis player, alleged last year that Zverev had attempted to strangle her with a pillow and hit her head against a wall at a New York hotel before the US Open in 2019.
She said she feared for her life at the time. Zverev has denied the allegations.
Slate defended its report in a statement later on Friday.
"Today we were informed that Alexander Zverev started legal proceedings in Germany against Slate following our report on alleged domestic abuse," spokesperson Katie Rayford said.
"Though Slate does not comment on pending litigation, we stand by our fair and accurate reporting based on multiple sources and interviews."
Alexander Zverev supports domestic violence policy
The ATP said last weekend it would begin an independent review of its safeguarding policies, which it said is expected to include recommendations pertaining to domestic violence.
On Friday, Zverev said he was in favour of such a policy.
"It's going to get sorted in these kind of situations," he said.
"I think it's good that the ATP is kind of renewing their rules a little bit because they've been there since the '80s and nothing has been changed in a way."
Zverev lost to Dominic Thiem in the 2020 final at Flushing Meadows, falling in a fifth-set tiebreaker after blowing a two-set lead.
He followed up his gold medal at the recent Tokyo Olympics by winning the hard-court event in Cincinnati.
Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.