Paige VanZant and Rachel Ostovich have hit back at claims from Curtis Blaydes that the female stars are only employed by UFC for their ‘sex appeal’.
Blaydes caused controversy recently when he said the female stars were only in the UFC because “they look good in bikinis.”
‘COWBOY BEHAVIOUR’: Dana White slammed as UFC events go ahead
‘GOT A BIT WILD’: VanZant's husband opens up on naked isolation pics
“So you telling me Paige VanZant and Rachel Osto-whatever actually deserve to remain on the UFC's roster for their athletic achievements and their not just on cards for their sex appeal?” Blaydes said.
“Cause if I'm wrong about that then I guess the whole premise of my original statement is wrong and I apologise.
“But if you're a legit fan of MMA you couldn't possibly believe the two females I mentioned are on the roster for anything other than the fact they look good in bikinis.”
VanZant has since fired back at Blaydes, sharing a photo of her and Ostovich squaring up before their fight last year.
“Good thing we're so pretty,” VanZant wrote.
“It's going to make when we punch each other in the face hurt a lot less ... but that much HOTTER.”
Ostovich commented on the post: “Muahahahahahahahaha.”
And fellow UFC fighter Pearl Gonzales wrote: “Facts! Beauty Queens!!!”
Blaydes has also taken aim at Gonzalex in the past, claiming the female fighter was trying to stay relevant by sharing bikini photos on social media.
“Yeah I know of Pearl, she's another one who's not a very good fighter but stays relevant because she's constantly posting bikini training pics,” he said.
“Her skills are exactly what they were five years ago as a brawler with terrible footwork and decent grappling.”
Perth UFC card in June postponed
Meanwhile, the UFC has committed to returning to Perth after postponing the June 7 card at RAC Arena.
It could also consider staging a show in another Australian city before returning to Western Australia.
The UFC 251 pay-for-view event was postponed due to state and national restrictions on public gatherings and travel caused by the coronavirus pandemic.
“We don't have a (new) date to report right now, we've been working closely with tourism Western Australia,” UFC senior vice president of international and content David Shaw told AAP.
“We would like to look to the next 12 to 18 months, you just don't know how things are going to progress.”
Shaw suggested there was a chance a UFC show could land in another Australian city before the rescheduled PPV event in Perth.
“We only get to have one pay-per-view down under per year,” Shaw said.
“So if the timing makes more sense to be in Perth for pay-for-view later in the year or later in 2021, and there's an opportunity to enter into Australia at some point prior to that, then we will make that decision.”