Tottenham 0-2 Man City: Erling Haaland brace deals huge blow to Arsenal's Premier League title hopes

At the double: Erling Haaland dragged Man City to a huge win (Action Images via Reuters)
At the double: Erling Haaland dragged Man City to a huge win (Action Images via Reuters)

Manchester City took a massive step towards the Premier League title as they battled to a 2-0 win over Tottenham.

Arsenal were relying on a significant favour from their big rivals, but Erling Haaland finished from Kevin De Bruyne’s cross early in the second-half in north London, and then added a second from the penalty spot as the much moved into stoppage-time. Pep Guardiola’s side sit two points clear at the top of the table heading into the final day.

It was very nearly all so different, as Heung-min Son raced through on goal after a Manuel Akanji error in the closing stages of normal time, when City’s lead was still only one, but Stefan Ortega produced what could prove to be a title-winning save.

Victory at home to West Ham on Sunday will seal a fourth title on the bounce for City, with Arsenal, hosting Everton, left to rely on an unlikely slip-up from the relentless City machine.

Only a win would do for City if they wanted to return to the summit ahead of the final day and Phil Foden understood the assignment as he almost gave his side the lead. The England international capitalised on a gift from Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg's sliced clearance which gave him a chance to finish on the volley, but Guglielmo Vicario spread himself to deny him from inside the area.

It was far from a vintage City display though. Ruben Dias had been sloppy in possession a handful of times, Kevin De Bruyne was being marked out the game and a wayward attempt from Josko Gvardiol in the 39th minute was all they had mustered since Foden's golden opportunity.

De Bruyne responded well after the break however. He forced another save out of Vicario before the Belgium international was instrumental in the build-up to City's 51st-minute opener. The midfielder overlapped into a pocket of space which allowed him to pick out Haaland for a simple tap-in from inside the six-yard area.

The goal was welcomed by cheers and chants of "are you watching Arsenal" from the home section as the goal damaged Spurs' rivals' chances of a first title since 2004.

Ederson took a knock to the head in a collision with Cristian Romero and was soon replaced by Ortega. The Brazilian, like Tottenham's Rodrigo Bentancur before him, reacted angrily on the touchline after being withdrawn. It was not long before City's second-choice keeper was called upon as Spurs ramped up the pressure.

Dejan Kulusevski benefited from a fortunate ricochet off Manuel Akanji and the winger's drilled effort was stopped by Ortega who managed to close his legs to keep his team in front and at the top of the table.

Ortega's heroics continued into the 86th minute when Akanji lost the ball in possession, allowing Son to go one-on-one. The German keeper stood strong, getting a firm leg out to deny the Spurs skipper.

Substitute Jeremy Doku broke on the counter and bought a penalty off Romero. Haaland was the obvious taker and the Premier League top scorer smashed his effort into the top left-hand corner to confirm a 2-0 victory.