Tiger Woods undergoes second surgery after car crash

Riley Morgan
·Sports Reporter
·2-min read
Tiger Woods (pictured right) during a golf tournament and his car crash (pictured left) in LA.
Tiger Woods (pictured right) underwent a second round of surgery after his car crash (pictured left) in LA. (Getty Images)

Tiger Woods' team have announced the superstar golfer has undergone a second round of surgery on his badly injured right leg after his car crash in Los Angeles.

The 15-time major winner underwent surgery at the Harbor-UCLA Medical Center to stabilise compound fractures of his tibia and fibula, after the grisly accident on Tuesday.

'CRUSHING NEWS': Fears for Tiger Woods after latest update

'WASN'T AWARE': Startling new claim about Tiger Woods crash

The 45-year-old was transferred to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center where his team announced on Saturday he had undergone a second round of surgery.

"Tiger has moved to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center and received follow-up procedures on his injuries," the statement from his account read.

"The procedures were successful and he is now recovering and in good spirits."

This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.

Earlier in the week, it was announced Woods suffered a compound fracture to his lower right tibia and fibula bones, according to the Chief Medical Officer Anish Mahajan at the Harbor-UCLA Medical Center.

"Comminuted open fractures affecting both the upper and lower portions of the tibia and fibula bones were stabilised by inserting a rod into the tibia," Mahajan said in the statement.

"Additional injuries to the bones of the foot and ankle were stabilised with a combination of screws and and pins."

Woods reportedly eager to return to golf

A day earlier, PEOPLE Magazine reported a source close to Woods said the sporting great was already pondering a return to the links.

"It can’t end like this,” Woods reportedly said to close confidants who visited him in hospital.

The unnamed source cited by PEOPLE elaborated further on Woods' comment, making it clear he was determined to make a comeback from his horrific injuries.

“He doesn’t want his career to end like this,” they reportedly told PEOPLE.

“So if there’s any way at all that he can continue playing golf, he will.”

The interim CEO of the hospital that treated Woods' injuries said it had been an 'honour' to care for the champion golfer.

"Woods was transferred to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center for continuing orthopaedic care and recovery," Harbor-UCLA Medical Center interim CEO Anish Mahajan said on the hospital's Twitter account on Thursday.

"It was an honour to provide orthopaedic trauma care to one of our generation's greatest athletes."

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.