Rafael Nadal says Nick Kyrgios should focus on a more age-appropriate rival after knocking back an invitation from the Aussie on social media.
The relationship between Nick Kyrgios and Rafael Nadal has been rocky in the past, to say the least.
‘FANBOYING’: Sharapova lifts the lid on date with Djokovic
Bad blood between the pair has been palpable ever since their memorable clash at the Mexico Open in 2019 when Nadal accused the Aussie of being disrespectful on court.
It kicked off a war of words between the pair that's resulted in one of the fiercest rivalries in men's tennis.
Kyrgios appeared to extend an olive branch to Nadal last week though, when he suggested the pair take part in a social media initiative.
The BBC was asking for suggestions as to the most sought-after Facetimes - prompting a quick response from Kyrgios.
"Rafa lets do Instagram live together. I am down with it. Rafael Nadal let's do it," the Aussie wrote on Instagram.
Not surprisingly, Kyrgios' shock invitation left the tennis world salivating at the prospect, with fans urging Nadal to take up the offer.
Unfortunately, the 33-year-old Spaniard doesn't appear interested at all after suggesting the 25-year-old Aussie would be better engaging with a player closer to his own age.
"I don’t mind doing a live with Nick but there’s a generational gap and he might have more fun with someone closer to his age and style."
Nadal not confident French Open will go ahead
The 19-time grand slam champion said last week that he thought the rest of the year would be a write off.
"I wish, but I don't believe so. If you said we'll be ready for 2021 I would sign up for that," Nadal said.
"I am more worried about the Australian Open than what will happen at the end of this year.
"I think 2020 is practically lost. I have hopes that we will be able to start next year. Hopefully that's what will happen."
However, the French Open, which was postponed to September from May due to the novel coronavirus outbreak, could be held without fans, the organisers of the clay court Grand Slam have now said.
Roland Garros had been scheduled for May 24 to June 7 before the French tennis federation (FFT) pushed it back to September 20-October 4 in a bid to save the tournament from falling victim to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Last week the FFT said all tickets purchased for this year’s French Open would be cancelled and reimbursed instead of being transferred.
As far as potentially staging the grand slam behind closed doors though, French tennis officials insist all options are on the table.
“Organising it without fans would allow a part of the economy to keep turning, (like) television rights and partnerships. It’s not to be overlooked,” FFT President Bernard Giudicelli told French newspaper Le Journal du Dimanche.
“We’re not ruling any option out.”