Nick Kyrgios has vowed to keep calling out his opponents if they keep making mistakes off the court during the global pandemic and said he himself doesn’t feel comfortable returning to action any time soon.
Kyrgios recently fired a shot at Novak Djokovic after the Serbian tennis superstar was disqualified from the US Open.
‘DIFFERENT RULES’: Federer dragged into Djokovic saga
Holed up in Canberra after opting to skip the US Open, where he has been training during the pandemic, Kyrgios sarcastically asked followers how long they think he would be banned for if he had been defaulted like Djokovic at the US Open.
“Swap me for jokers incident. ‘Accidentally hitting the ball kid in the throat’ how many years would I be banned for?” Kyrgios asked on Twitter, giving fans the option of answering five, 10 or 20 years.
And speaking to reporters in Canberra, where the NK Foundation was part of a government initiative to open a tennis centre, he admitted he wasn’t going to stop calling out colleagues.
“I’m just trying to hold people accountable for their actions. You can’t compare what someone does off the court to on the court,” he said.
“When I see some people making mistakes, I’m not going to initially bring it up, but if they defend it and continually make the same mistakes, especially in a global pandemic, I’m going to say something about it.”
Swap me for jokers incident. ‘Accidentally hitting the ball kid in the throat’ how many years would I be banned for?
— Nicholas Kyrgios (@NickKyrgios) September 6, 2020
Kyrgios set to skip French Open
But in the biggest hint yet he could skip the French Open and future tournaments until current conditions are better.
"I don't think at the moment I'm really comfortable going anywhere with the current conditions," Kyrgios added.
"I don't really see any real improvement going on in my eye at the moment but at the same time I don't think it's the best time for sport to be going ahead also.
"Even Ash Barty, she's a champion of the French Open and she still didn't feel entirely comfortable going there, and she didn't feel like she's had the right preparation and honestly nor have I."
World No.1 and current champ Barty recently made the decision she wasn’t going to travel and defend her title in Paris due to logistical issues and health concerns regarding the coronavirus pandemic.