Boris Becker has stunned fans by stepping down as head of men’s tennis in Germany.
The tennis legend announced on Wednesday he is leaving the job which has seen him oversee youth development and the country’s Davis Cup team.
‘MOST LIKELY’: Premier's huge call on Australian Open
‘STOPPED YEARS AGO’: Venus' training split with Serena
The six-time major winner said he no longer had enough time to do the job with the country’s German Tennis Federation that he started in 2017.
The 53-year-old Becker was recently charged in London over accusations he hid assets, including two Wimbledon trophies, real estate and bank accounts, during bankruptcy proceedings.
He could face several years in prison if convicted.
In his role at the Federation, he visited academies, watched youth tournaments and was in overall charge of the Davis Cup operation.
He will leave the post at the end of the year.
“Working for the DTB has given me great pleasure in the past three and a half years,” the three-time Wimbledon champion said in a statement.
“Unfortunately I currently lack the time to continue with this extensive task.
“It was a pleasure for me to visit all federal training centres and to deal intensively with the national coaches, but above all with the children and young people.
“It was a great honour for me to lead German tennis in the men’s and junior division together with Michael Kohlmann and I am convinced that he will continue to do this great job on his own.”
Door ajar for Boris Becker to return to role
Becker, who is also a television commentator and lives in London, did not rule out one day returning to the role, saying: “I will remain on friendly terms with the DTB.”
The DTB said he would be welcomed back.
“Of course we regret this decision, but we also fully understand it,” DTB sports director Klaus Eberhard said.
“With his great expertise and his personality, Boris has made an impact in competitive sport at all levels.”
DTB President Ulrich Klaus added: “Boris Becker also made an outstanding contribution to the German Tennis Association in this role.
“We are extremely grateful to him that he was available to us with this voluntary commitment.
“We hope and would be very happy if there is another opportunity in the future to involve Boris Becker in the association.”
The federation said that Davis Cup captain Michael Kohlmann will take on Becker’s responsibilities.
Becker declared for bankruptcy in 2017 after failing to pay £3.3 million ($6 million) to private banking firm Arbuthnot Latham.
The German legend has been accused of failing to hand over trophies - including the 1985 Wimbledon men’s cup that catapulted him to sporting stardom - so they could be sold to settle his debts.
Becker was arraigned on a series of charges last month, including concealing more than £1 million ($1.8 million) held in bank accounts, as well as property.
He is also accused of removing hundreds of thousands of pounds by transferring it to other accounts, including to former wife Barbara Becker, and estranged wife Sharlely “Lilly” Becker.
Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.