Eugenie Bouchard appears to be a little bored as she deals with the suspension of the professional tennis tour.
On Wednesday the ATP and WTA extended the suspension of their tours until June 7 as the coronavirus pandemic continues to shred the sporting calendar.
‘EMBARRASSING’: French Open facing shock player boycott
‘MADNESS’: Players rage over French Open postponement
Tennis’ biggest stars are now trying to find something to do and Bouchard appears to be stuck at home.
Taking to Twitter on Wednesday, Bouchard wrote: “Not complaining, but i feel like quarantine would be a lot more fun with a boyfriend.”
not complaining, but i feel like quarantine would be a lot more fun with a boyfriend— Genie Bouchard (@geniebouchard) March 18, 2020
Needless to say she received a flood of replies, including some hilarious ones.
“Not bragging but I have 12 toilet rolls in my bathroom,” one fan wrote.
Not bragging but I have 12 toilet rolls in my bathroom.— Lee (@leehemmings91) March 18, 2020
Hello from Halifax 😍— Slater (@craiginhalifax) March 18, 2020
I’ve got 6 bottles of hand sanitizer, 18 toilet rolls and various scented soap bottles if Genie fancies a bit of quarantine and chill.— Matt Taylor (@matt1taylor) March 18, 2020
Tennis stars forced to get creative
Tennis players could be hit hardest by the coronavirus crisis - particularly those without large sponsorship deals - as they earn their income from prize money.
But without any tennis being played for the next few months there’s no prize money to earn.
Aussie star Alex de Minaur recently took to social media to show himself ‘job hunting’.
“Yep I’ve lost it,” he wrote alongside a photo himself.
Young American player Sachia Vickery even posted her resume online.
While Noah Rubin and Jonny O’Mara were among those to seek out interest in tennis lessons.
Will be in New York for some time. Giving some select lessons during this time if anyone interested. Serious inquiries only. Let me know!— Noah Rubin (@Noahrubin33) March 12, 2020
French player Jeremy Chardy spoke out about the uncertainty of the shutdown and what it means for players.
“I no longer know, actually, if I am unemployed, on paternity leave, or a tennis player,” he told L’Equipe.
“Many players want to talk about it. It's not our fault what's going on. If many tournaments are cancelled, it can be difficult if you're not an employee. And for ATP points, it can also be complicated.”
Currently looking for something to do for the next few months 😳— CoCo Vandeweghe (@CoCoVandey) March 12, 2020
Clay court season scuppered
As well as the controversial postponement of the French Open, the entire clay court season “will not be held as scheduled” due to the suspension, the organising bodies of the men's and women's tours said.
“The challenges presented by the COVID-19 pandemic to professional tennis demand greater collaboration than ever from everyone in the tennis community,” the associations said.
“We are assessing all options related to preserving and maximising the tennis calendar.”
The tours had said last week they would suspend play until late April or early May.
The tournaments affected by the tours' suspensions include combined men's and women's events in Madrid and Rome.
Also being scrapped are upcoming WTA tournaments in Strasbourg, France, and Rabat, Morocco, along with ATP events in Munich; Estoril, Portugal; Geneva; and Lyon, France.
Both tours also said that their rankings will be frozen “until further notice.”
The International Tennis Federation also put a halt to its lower-tier events until June 7.