'Completely crazy': Rival's explosive swipe at 'idiot' Nick Kyrgios

Sam Goodwin
Sports Editor

Casper Ruud has taken another swipe at Nick Kyrgios in their ugly war of words.

Kyrgios was infamously disqualified from his match against Ruud at the Rome Masters in May, prompting criticism from the Norwegian player.

‘ABSOLUTE MAGIC’: Disbelief over 'ridiculous' Roger Federer moment

Kyrgios was docked of the ATP points he’d earned in Rome, but Ruud said that wasn’t good enough.

Nick Kyrgios in action in the Laver Cup. (Photo by Clive Brunskill/Getty Images for Laver Cup)

“I’m not the only one who thinks he should be suspended for at least half a year," he said at the time.

Kyrgios then laughed at Ruud when video was posted online of the Norwegian celebrating the fact that Kyrgios had been disqualified.

Responding to the dig from Kyrgios on Wednesday, Ruud labelled the Aussie an idiot.

"I saw that he wrote a little about (my celebration)," Ruud said in an interview with Alex Theodoridis of Tennisportalen.

"Okay, he was disqualified but if we look at the head to head between me and Kyrgios, then it stands 1-0 to me.

"Does that mean I've won against him? It still stands 1-0 to me.

“He was completely crazy when I met him. It was nice to win. Whether I celebrated after the game or not? I do not care.

"I was happy and got 90 points and $50,000 in prize money so why wouldn't I celebrate?

"It's his problem that he's an idiot on the court."

Casper Ruud isn't a fan of Nick Kyrgios. (Photo by JOHANN GRODER/AFP/Getty Images)

Kyrgios back in Davis Cup fold

Meanwhile, Australian captain Lleyton Hewitt says he’s prepared to overlook the most recent spate of bad behaviour by Kyrgios, saying the firebrand has earned his recall for the revamped Davis Cup finals.

Kyrgios is serving a six-month probation period for his spectacular meltdown in Cincinnati in August and subsequently branding the ATP corrupt at the US Open.

But his suspended sentence only applies to the ATP Tour and not Davis Cup.

Hewitt said the 24-year-old Kyrgios had done enough to work his way back into the team for the November tournament after he was overlooked for the qualification tie when he failed to meet new performance and behavioural standards.

"I have been watching that closely," Hewitt said of Kyrgios, adding the suspended ban hadn't affected his decision.

"I feel like on the Davis Cup court he's done absolutely everything I've needed in the past; he hasn't put a foot wrong.

"There's a lot of things he does in a team environment that I actually think we will see the best of him."

Hewitt said the world No.30 made contact with him in March to talk about how he could get back in Australian colours.

"We sat down in Indian Wells and went through things and he's been so willing to do whatever it takes to get back into the Davis Cup team," Hewitt said.

with AAP