'No viable alternative': Wimbledon defends contentious Russia ban

Seen on the left is AELTC chairman Ian Hewitt alongside a photo of Russian president Vladimir Putin on the right.
Wimbledon chiefs say the tournament would not be used 'to benefit the propaganda machine of the Russian regime'. Pic: Getty

Wimbledon officials have explained the reasoning behind the hugely divisive move to ban players from Russia and Belarus from competing at this year's grand slam tournament.

The All England Club (AELTC), which runs the grasscourt Grand Slam, announced the move last week in response to Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

'BEAUTIFUL': Fans erupt over detail in Novak Djokovic photo

'UNACCEPTABLE': Novak Djokovic under fire over ball kid incident

'RIDICULOUS': Iga Swiatek stuns in wake of Ash Barty retirement

It means stars such as US Open champion Daniil Medvedev, Andrey Rublev, Aryna Sabalenka and Victoria Azarenka cannot play at the event, which starts in late June.

The move has been massively unpopular in the tennis world, with players past and present, as well as the governing bodies of men's and women's tennis - the ATP and WTA respectively - speaking out against the bans.

WTA president Steve Simon this week warned Wimbledon organisers that they face "strong reactions" to the ban, with more twists expected in the coming days.

Moves by the WTA could include a refusal to award ranking points at the June 27-July 10 tournament, which would effectively reduce Wimbledon to the status of a high-profile exhibition event.

Pictured left is Russian tennis star Daniil Medvedev and Victoria Azarenka is on the right.
Russian and Belarusian players such as Daniil Medvedev and Victoria Azarenka (pictured) are banned from playing in the 2022 Wimbledon grand slam tournament. Pic: Getty

However, Wimbledon chiefs insist they were left with "no viable alternative" other than to issue bans so as to avoid "being used to benefit the propaganda machine of the Russian regime".

AELTC chairman Ian Hewitt said the decision was made after careful consideration, taking into account UK government guidance for sporting bodies with the aim of limiting Russia's influence.

"These are in effect two options — declining entries or allowing entries but only with specific written declarations (against the invasion of Ukraine) from individual players," he said at Wimbledon's annual media briefing.

He added: "First, even if we were to accept entries from Russian and Belarusian players with written declarations, we would risk their success or participation at Wimbledon being used to benefit the propaganda machine of the Russian regime, which we could not accept.

"Second, we have a duty to ensure no actions we take should put players or their families at risk. We understand and deeply regret the impact this decision will have on every individual affected and so many innocent people are suffering as a result of this terrible war.

"But... we believe we have made the most responsible decision possible in the circumstances and that, within the framework of the government's position, there is no viable alternative to the decision we have taken in this truly exceptional and tragic situation."

Russian star Rublev last week labelled the bans "complete discrimination" and defending Wimbledon champion Novak Djokovic said the decision was "crazy".

Hewitt rejected accusations of discrimination, saying it was a "considered view" after a process that included conversations with players directly affected.

Players representing Russia and Belarus are currently allowed to take part in ATP and WTA events but are barred from competing under the name or flag of their countries.

Their national teams have, however, been banished from the Davis Cup and BJK Cup competitions.

Wimbledon's Russia bans divide tennis world

The WTA and ATP are holding meetings in Madrid this week to decide how to react.

AELTC chief executive Sally Bolton said officials were in daily communication with the tours, adding: "We continue to make the case for why we have made the decision we have made and the unique set of circumstances we find ourselves in here in the UK. They absolutely appreciate that."

Bolton also revealed that discussions were taking place with the British government regarding Russian and Belarusian coaches and other officials but confirmed Russian media outlets would be banned.

Spectators and club members from the two countries will be able to attend.

World No.1 Djokovic will be able to challenge for his seventh Wimbledon crown after the officials confirmed players would not be required to be vaccinated against coronavirus.

The unvaccinated Serb was deported from Australia in January after losing a last-ditch court bid to stay in the country — denying him the chance to defend his Australian Open title.

Last year's Covid-related restrictions at Wimbledon, which included reduced crowds for most of the tournament and strict conditions imposed on the players, will all be lifted.

"We are planning to return to a normal Championships this year," said Bolton. "And so we don't intend to implement any of the Covid-19 measures that we saw last year in any substantial fashion."

with agencies

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.