Nick Kyrgios' worrying announcement just days before Wimbledon

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·Sports Editor
·4-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
Nick Kyrgios, pictured here in action against Hubert Hurkacz at the Halle Open.
Nick Kyrgios in action against Hubert Hurkacz at the Halle Open. (Photo by Thomas F. Starke/Getty Images)

Nick Kyrgios has suffered a worrying injury scare just days out from Wimbledon, announcing his withdrawal from the Mallorca Championships on Wednesday.

The Australian No.2 withdrew from the tournament on Wednesday before he was due to face Spain's Roberto Bautista Agut in the last-16, citing an abdominal injury.

'AWFUL': World No.4 under fire over 'disgraceful' post-match act

HUGE: Serena Williams' shock confession after return to tennis

The news followed a gruelling contest on Tuesday evening in which the World No.45 came back from a set down to beat Serbia's Laslo Djere 5-7 7-6 (7-1) 7-6 (7-1).

"I'm really sorry I'm going to have to withdraw from tonight's match here in Mallorca," Kyrgios said in a statement released by the organisers.

"I have been playing a lot of great matches lately and unfortunately I woke up with a pain in my abs.

"I went to see the tournament doctor right away and he advised that I don't play tonight. I really value the Mallorca Championships but I will follow his advice as I don't want to risk Wimbledon next week.

"I was really looking forward to tonight's match as I've been loving my time here. Mallorca is such a beautiful island with really nice people."

Javier Cerrato, the tournament doctor, said: "Nick Kyrgios suffers pain in the rectus abdominis on the left side due to the accumulation of matches in recent weeks and the effort of yesterday's first round match.

"This will not allow him to return to the court tonight."

Nick Kyrgios, pictured here in action against Laslo Djere at the Mallorca Championships.
Nick Kyrgios in action against Laslo Djere at the Mallorca Championships. (Photo by Manuel Queimadelos/Quality Sport Images/Getty Images)

The sad news ends a sparkling run on the grass-courts for Kyrgios, which has seen him reach two semi-finals in two weeks in Stuttgart and Halle.

It also prevented the prospect of a blockbuster quarter-final against World No.1 Daniil Medvedev, who later beat Aslan Karatsev 4-6 6-3 6-2.

Fans expressed their sadness for Kyrgios and wished him all the best for his recovery in time for Wimbledon.

Nick Kyrgios slams ATP's off-court coaching trial

Kyrgios later took to social media to express his views about the ATP's plans to trial off-court coaching, saying he believes the unique nature of the sport is being removed by the experiment.

The ATP will trial the system in the second half of the season, with players allowed to get instructions during qualifying and main draw matches in tournaments - including the US Open and ATP Finals.

Patrick Mouratoglou, who previously coached Serena Williams until their recent split, congratulated the ATP for "legalising a practice that has been going on at almost every match for decades".

However Kyrgios was adamant in his opposition of Mouratoglou's views.

"Completely disagree. Loses one of the only unique traits that no other sport had," Kyrgios responded on Twitter.

"The player had to figure out things on his own. That was the beauty of it. What happens if a high profile player versus a low ranked player who doesn't have or (cannot) afford a coach?"

Mouratoglou was involved in the most high-profile case of off-court coaching at the 2018 US Open final when Williams was given a warning for his apparent gesturing.

Williams later received a game penalty when she received her third code violation, eventually losing to Naomi Osaka amid controversial scenes.

The new trial is set to begin on July 11, the day after Wimbledon ends.

with AAP

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting