'What's he doing': Tennis fans stunned by Daniil Medvedev drama

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·Sports Editor
·4-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
Daniil Medvedev, pictured here after losing at the Geneva Open.
Daniil Medvedev lost his only match before the French Open. Image: Tennis TV/Getty

Daniil Medvedev has declared himself no chance of winning the French Open after a shock loss in his return to the ATP tour on Tuesday.

The US Open champion, who underwent surgery last month on a hernia, was beaten 6-2, 7-6 (7-5) by French veteran Richard Gasquet in the Geneva Open round of 16.

'DON'T KNOW': Daniil Medvedev lashes out over Wimbledon ban

'STILL SUFFERING:' Iga Swiatek calls out rivals over Ukraine support

The World No.2 went under the knife after losing in the quarter-finals in Miami, meaning the loss on Tuesday was his only clay-court match ahead of Roland Garros.

When asked about his prospects of success in Paris, the Russian star said it was hard to look beyond Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic as favourites to win the second grand slam of the year.

"I don't play my best tennis on clay courts. I know that I'm capable of making some good results, as I did in the past. But for this I kind of need to be in the zone," he reporters.

"I don't feel as confident on clay as on other surfaces, that's why I lost 7-5 in the tie-break finishing with a double fault. It's disappointing but I've had tougher losses in my career.

"Physically I felt not bad. With more days of practice I should be ready for Roland Garros."

The 26-year-old reached the quarter-finals at the French Open last year - his best result at Roland Garros.

"I haven't played for a month and a half, two months," he said.

"I'm going to try to work both physically and tennis-wise and hopefully I can find the game I had there last year - which is not going to be easy.

"Clay for my body is the most dangerous surface. For me it's clay courts — every time, every year I have some problems where I cannot be 100 percent.

"I'm not a favourite for Roland Garros but I do want to play well. If I can find my level again, I can be dangerous."

Daniil Medvedev, pictured here after losing a point against Richard Gasquet at the Geneva Open.
Daniil Medvedev reacts after losing a point against Richard Gasquet at the Geneva Open. (Photo by FABRICE COFFRINI/AFP via Getty Images)

Tennis world stunned by Daniil Medvedev loss

It was the first time 35-year-old Gasquet has defeated a top-two player since beating Roger Federer in 2005 - his only other victory over a top-two opponent in 38 attempts.

"It's a great victory for me and it's incredible for me to win against Daniil, even if he's coming back from injuries," Gasquet said.

"It's a great moment and that's why I still continue to play and try to do well."

The former World No.7, who underwent hernia surgery of his own in 2019, was surprised by the speed of Medvedev's comeback.

"The first match after surgery it's always difficult, so I knew it was tough for him but I know how good he is," he said.

"He has come back quickly because two months off is not a lot after an operation.

"It's impressive. It will take time for him to get back to his best."

Despite it being his first match in over a month, fans still expressed their shock over Medvedev's loss.

Meanwhile, Australians Christopher O'Connell and Thanasi Kokkinakis both achieved impressive victories on the second day of the Geneva Open.

O'Connell, who came through two rounds of qualifying and is ranked 124 in the world, beat No.42-ranked Albert Ramos-Vinolas 7-6 (7-5) 6-4.

The Australian No.9 now plays American Reilly Opelka, who had a first round bye.

Kokkinakis defeated Italian veteran Fabio Fognini 6-4 6-3, ranked 33 places higher at No.52, and next meets Argentina's Federico Delbonis.

with agencies

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting