Novak Djokovic has made the announcement he won't be playing at Indian Wells after the debacle of the World No.2 being included in the main draw.
Djokovic's vaccination saga continued on Wednesday when Indian Wells officials were seeking answers to whether the World No.2 could participate after he was included in the draw.
The Californian tournament, one of the biggest ATP 1000 events, starts on Friday and the unvaccinated star had been included in the draw.
However, officials aren't even sure if he can play because all non-US citizens must be vaccinated to enter the country.
The mystery deepened when fans noticed a photo of the World No.2 had been included on-site at the tournament.
However, Djokovic ended speculation when he said he wouldn't be able to play due to his vaccination status.
“While I was automatically listed in the @BNPPARIBASOPEN and @MiamiOpen draw I knew it would be unlikely I’d be able to travel,” Djokovic wrote on Twitter.
“The CDC has confirmed that regulations won’t be changing so I won't be able to play in the US."
This still leaves Djokovic's participation at the US Open in doubt.
While I was automatically listed in the @BNPPARIBASOPEN and @MiamiOpen draw I knew it would be unlikely I’d be able to travel. The CDC has confirmed that regulations won’t be changing so I won't be able to play in the US. Good luck to those playing in these great tournaments 👊
— Novak Djokovic (@DjokerNole) March 9, 2022
Novak Djokovic photo sparks frenzy
In the lead up to the draw, fans noticed a photo of Djokovic had been included on the wall of stars not playing in the tournament.
Djokovic was standing next to a sign, which read: "We miss you".
Funnily enough, he was next to WTA World No.1 Ash Barty, who only pulled out of the tournament last week as she continues her recovery.
The tennis world was quick to blast the debacle, which could have been avoided in the lead up to the tournament.
Update from the Indian Wells “We Miss You” wall:
Andreescu has been added; Djokovic has not been subtracted; man misses Ash Barty. pic.twitter.com/krLVeeXshB
— Ben Rothenberg (@BenRothenberg) March 9, 2022
While Djokovic will miss Indian Wells and the Miami Open, he might be given a better chance to chase down Rafa Nadal's record 21 grand slam record this year.
The French sports minister initially announced all athletes would need to be vaccinated to compete on French soil, casing Djokovic's Roland Garros title defence in doubt.
But, with the latest Covid-19 numbers subsiding, Prime Minister Jean Castex said the current restrictions will end on March 14.
This could see Djokovic compete at Roland Garros and he should be able to play Monte Carlo Masters on April 10.
Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.