Startling detail spotted in photo of Peng Shuai released by China

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·Sports Editor
·5-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
Peng Shuai, pictured here in photos released by Chinese state media.
A photo of Winnie the Pooh in the background of an image of Peng Shuai has sparked a frenzy. Image: Twitter

Chinese state media have posted a number of photos and videos of Peng Shuai claiming to show the missing tennis star is safe and well.

Concern for the welfare of the 35-year-old, who has not been heard from directly for more than a fortnight, this week reached the United Nations and even the White House.

'HE KNOWS': Aus Open boss makes telling Novak Djokovic confession

RAREFIED AIR: Ash Barty joins tennis elite with incredible slice of history

The former World No.1 in doubles has seemingly disappeared after making allegations of sexual assault against a former vice-premier in China on the social media site Weibo.

On Saturday, an employee of Chinese state TV posted photos and videos online in a new effort to dispel concern about her disappearance.

The former Wimbledon doubles champion can be seen smiling in the apparently new photos and videos, however WTA chairman Steve Simon isn't convinced.

Simon has threatened to pull the WTA out of the lucrative Chinese part of its tour next season unless it is proved that Peng is safe, and he reiterated that its relationship with China is "at a crossroads".

"I am glad to see the videos released by China state-run media that appear to show Peng Shuai at a restaurant in Beijing," said Simon in a WTA statement.

"While it is positive to see her, it remains unclear if she is free and able to make decisions and take actions on her own, without coercion or external interference. This video alone is insufficient.

"As I have stated from the beginning, I remain concerned about Peng Shuai's health and safety and that the allegation of sexual assault is being censored and swept under the rug.

"I have been clear about what needs to happen and our relationship with China is at a crossroads."

Detail in Peng Shuai photo sparks frenzy online

The Twitter account @shen_shiwei, labelled "Chinese state-affiliated media" by the social network, posted four undated images of Peng late Friday.

Shen Shiwei said the pictures were shared on Peng's WeChat Moments, a function often restricted to friends, to wish her followers a "good weekend".

One photo shows the smiling player with a cat in her arms, with stuffed animals, a trophy, a Chinese flag and certificates visible in the background.

Another image shows a selfie of Peng with a toy from the children's animation Kung Fu Panda, with an image of Winnie the Pooh in the background.

The Winnie the Pooh detail has sparked a frenzy online because the children's character is often censored online in China as critics say Chinese leader Xi Jinping resembles the cartoon.

Meanwhile, the editor of a newspaper published by the ruling Communist Party said Peng would “show up in public” soon.

The editor of Global Times, an English-language newspaper published by the Communist Party, said on Twitter he had confirmed from unidentified sources that the photos “are indeed Peng Shuai’s current state.”

“In the past few days, she stayed in her own home freely and she didn’t want to be disturbed,” wrote the editor, Hu Xijin. 

“She will show up in public and participate in some activities soon.”

Peng Shuai, pictured here in action at the Sony Ericsson Open in 2011.
Peng Shuai in action at the Sony Ericsson Open in 2011. (Photo by Clive Brunskill/Getty Images)

Roger Federer and Rafa Nadal speak out

Earlier this month, Peng alleged that Communist Party grandee Zhang Gaoli, now in his 70s, had forced her into sex during a long-term on-off relationship.

Wimbledon organisers said in a statement on Saturday: "We are united with the rest of tennis in the need to understand that Peng Shuai is safe. 

"We have been working in support of the WTA's efforts to establish her safety through our relationships behind the scenes."

Swiss tennis great Roger Federer also joined the chorus of athletes expressing concern for Peng.

"She was the No.1 (doubles player) in the world, but regardless of that I hope she is well," Federer told Sky Sports Italy.

"The whole tennis family is with her. I am connected to all players. I hope good news will come soon from her."

Rafa Nadal said: "Even if I don't have all the information, the most important thing is to know if she is OK. 

"All of us from the tennis family are hoping to see her back with us soon."

with agencies

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting