Emma Raducanu's massive announcement after Ash Barty bombshell

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·Sports Editor
·3-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
Emma Raducanu and Ash Barty, pictured here on the tennis court.
Emma Raducanu will play Indian Wells, however Ash Barty is out. Image: Getty

Emma Raducanu has accepted a wildcard invitation to the prestigious Indian Wells Masters event, just 24 hours after Ash Barty announced her withdrawal.

Organisers announced on Tuesday that newly crowned US Open champion Raducanu has been granted a wildcard into the California tournament starting next week.

'HORRIBLE SITUATION': Roger Federer's warning to Emma Raducanu

'LEGEND': Tennis world erupts over Kim Clijsters comeback

Indian Wells serves as a 1000-level event on the ATP and WTA tours and is one of the biggest events of the year outside of the four grand slams.

The 18-year-old British phenomenon, who stunned the tennis world after winning the US Open as an unseeded qualifier, will be making her debut at the rescheduled event from October 4-17.

It is the latest stop on a remarkable season for Raducanu, who only made her WTA Tour debut in June.

The teenager reached the fourth round at Wimbledon in her grand slam debut, before becoming the first qualifier in history to win a grand slam with her victory at Flushing Meadows earlier this month.

Raducanu's US Open triumph has catapulted her up the world rankings, rising more than 100 places to World No.22.

Remaining wildcard places and the singles and qualifying draws for Indian Wells will be confirmed later this week.

The tournament was rescheduled to October from its traditional slot in March due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Emma Raducanu, pictured here at the 'No Time To Die' World Premiere at Royal Albert Hall.
Emma Raducanu at the 'No Time To Die' World Premiere at Royal Albert Hall in London. (Photo by Mike Marsland/WireImage)

Ash Barty joins big names in missing Indian Wells

On Monday, it was confirmed that World No.1 Barty would not be playing Indian Wells, throwing doubt on the rest of her season.

The Aussie star hasn't competed since her shock loss in the third round of the US Open at the start of this month.

She was due to compete for the third time at Indian Wells, but Monday's confirmation that she is pulling out makes it increasingly probable that Barty's successful season is over.

Fellow big names Naomi Osaka and Serena Williams will also be missing from the prestigious event.

Earlier this month, Barty's coach Craig Tyzzer told AAP that the 25-year-old might not defend her WTA Finals crown in November because the tournament that marks the climax to the season had been moved to Mexico.

Tyzzer warned that she might skip the event because of challenging conditions in Guadalajara.

"We only just found out it's in Mexico at 1500 metres (above sea level) and they're using pressure-less balls," Tyzzer told AAP.

"Pressure-less balls absolutely fly. It's a ball that if you use it in normal conditions, it doesn't bounce.

"In conditions they've never played, in a country they don't play and at altitude, I just feel it's ridiculous."

He added that Barty's participation was "a decision we'll have to sit and mull over quite a bit."

Barty has endured a demanding year on the road, winning five titles and keeping a lock on her No.1 ranking after setting off around the world in March.

Her priority is to properly prepared for a crack at the Australian Open in January after two weeks of quarantine on her return home.

with agencies

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting